A few American Express credit cards offer credit for incidental fees, such as checked bags, in-flight refreshments, flight-change fees, airport lounge day-passes and more. You can receive the credit once per calendar year. The personal and business Platinum cards have a $200 credit and PRG has $100 credit.
Last year, late December, I used my PRG credit to buy a $100 AA egift card and that worked to trigger my $100 credit. But you can also purchase Amazon gift cards in you’re not planning to fly any time soon. Amazon gift cards are as good as cash for most people. But why not earn some miles as well along the way?
If you haven’t used your credits for this year yet, then you can do so right now using the MPX app. They are offering 2 miles per dollar on Amazon purchases (HT: Chuck), so you can earn a few hundred miles.
Here’s the steps:
- Select United as your airline (if you plan to se MPX)
- Open MPX app and search for Amazon (Apple Store | Google Play)
- Buy multiple $50 Amazon gift cards (larger denominations probably work as well, just safer)
- Pay with Amex credit card that offers airline fee credit
- Use gift code to redeem online buy adding balance to Amazon gift card balance here
If you want to purchase AA gift cards, just go to AA.com and purchase egift cards using your Amex card, after selecting AA as your airline on that card.