Chase Freedom Categories for Q4 2023
Today, Chase Freedom officially revealed the rotating quarterly categories for Freedom and Freedom Flex cardmembers for the fourth quarter of 2023. The new categories include PayPal payments, Wholesale Clubs and Select Charities. Cardmembers can earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in these categories from October 1 through December 31, 2023. Let’s take a look at the categories for this upcoming quarter.
Starting October 1 through December 31, 2023, Chase Freedom and Freedom Flex cardmembers can earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases on the following:
- ➡️ PayPal: Purchases made using PayPal at merchants in the current 5% quarterly categories will be awarded a total of 5% Cash Back rewards. Payments made through the Xoom transfer service are not eligible for 5%. Must have/open a PayPal account. Please note, Person-to-Person (P2P) transactions made with your Chase Freedom card on PayPal may be prohibited or not eligible for 5%.
- ➡️ Wholesale Clubs: Merchants in this category operate warehouse-style retail stores, sell in bulk, and concentrate on price appeal. These merchants sell a full range of household goods and merchandise, groceries, furniture, electronics, appliances, and auto supplies. These merchants may or may not have membership requirements. Gas, fuel, wholesale specialty service purchases such as travel, insurance, cell phone and home improvement will not qualify in this category. Delivery service merchants will be included if they classify as a wholesale club merchant. Mastercard not accepted at Costco warehouses or at gas stations.
- ➡️ Select Charities: American Red Cross, Equal Justice Initiatives, Feeding America, Habitat for Humanity, International Medical Corps, International Rescue Committee, Leadership Conference Education Fund, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, National Urban League, Thurgood Marshall College Fund, United Negro College Fund, UNICEF USA, United Way, World Central Kitchen, GLSEN, Out and Equal, Sage
You can activate the new categories here, starting on September 15, 2023. Must activate by December 14, 2023.
Chase Freedom Cards
The Chase Freedom and Freedom Flex cards earn 1% on all purchases but also 5% on rotating quarterly bonus categories, up to a combined $1,500 in purchases. So you can earn up to $75 every quarter, if you maximize the eligible categories. You can even have more than one Freedom card.
But it gets much better than that, since the cashback can be used as Ultimate Rewards points. To use the cashback as Ultimate Rewards points, you need to have one of the premium cards from Chase. That’s Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Ink Business Preferred or Ink Business Plus. You can then use points you earn with Chase Freedom cards as Ultimate Rewards. That gives you the ability to transfer to travel partners.
Along with 5% rotating categories, Freedom Flex cardmembers also earn 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase’s Ultimate Rewards, 3% cash back on dining and drugstores and 1% cash back on all other purchases. Freedom Flex cardmembers also receive World Elite Mastercard Benefits, including cell phone protection and discounts with Lyft, Shoprunner and more, in addition to Priceless Experiences.
If you don’t have the Chase Freedom Flex card, you can sign up and earn a $200 bonus cash back when you spend $500 within the first three months. Chase Freedom is no longer available for new applications. You can also product change other Chase cards to Freedom Flex. This is a good option if you don’t want to apply for a new card.
These two great categories. Many people shop at wholesale clubs, so earning 5% cash back on those purchases is a good way to save extra money. The same goes for PayPal as you can use it for most online purchases. So you can easily generate some organic spend in these categories.
Don’t forget to maximize this quarter’s categories as well, which are much better. September 14 is the last day to register if you haven’t done so already. You then have until the end of September to spend $1,500 (check your progress) on the following categories:
- Select Live Entertainment
- Gas Stations and EV Charging
- Learn more
Let me know what you think. Are you excited with the Q4 options? How do you plan to maximize your spending? Leave a comment below!