Chase Freedom Categories for Q3 2023
Today, Chase Freedom officially revealed the rotating quarterly categories for Freedom and Freedom Flex cardmembers for the third quarter of 2023. The new categories include Select Live Entertainment, Gas Stations and Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging. Cardmembers can earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in these categories from July 1 through September 30, 2023. Let’s take a look at the categories for this upcoming quarter.
Starting July 1 through September 30, 2023, Chase Freedom and Freedom Flex cardmembers can earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases on the following:
- Select Live Entertainment: Back for a second year in a row, cardmembers can earn cash back while enjoying their favorite music artists or sporting events live this summer. *Excludes bowling alleys, movie theaters, gambling facilities or third-party vendor purchases.
- Gas Stations and EV Charging: Cardmembers can boost cash back earnings when fueling up at the pump or charging their EV. Excludes truck stops, marinas, and oil distribution.
You can activate the new categories here, starting on June 15, 2022. Must activate by September 14, 2023.
- Gas Station Purchases Include: Merchants in this category sell automotive gasoline that can be paid for either at the pump or inside the station and may or may not sell other goods or services at their location.
- Exclusions: Merchants that do not specialize in selling automotive gasoline, for example, truck stops, boat marinas, oil and propane distributors, and home heating companies.
- EV Charging Purchases Include: Merchants in this category sell electric vehicle charging services that can be paid at the charging station, via mobile app, account/subscription or an attendant, and the merchants may or may not sell other goods or services at their location. Merchants must use the electric vehicle charging MCC for transaction.
- Exclusions: If electric vehicle charging services are offered for free by a merchant or are included in their services, but other services/goods require payment, the transactions will not be rewarded against. Parking facility merchants, such as valet parking, airport parking, and parking garages, are allowed to charge to the MCC that results in the highest sales volume, if the vendor chooses to charge the transaction to the parking facility MCC, the transaction will not be rewarded against. Residential electric vehicle charging. Electric vehicle charging equipment purchases and servicing for any use, including residential or commercial.
- Examples of Live Entertainment:
Chase Freedom Cards
The Chase Freedom and Freedom Flex cards earn 1% on all purchases but also 5% on rotating quarterly bonus categories, up to a combined $1,500 in purchases. So you can earn up to $75 every quarter, if you maximize the eligible categories. You can even have more than one Freedom card.
But it gets much better than that, since the cashback can be used as Ultimate Rewards points. To use the cashback as Ultimate Rewards points, you need to have one of the premium cards from Chase. That’s Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Ink Business Preferred or Ink Business Plus. You can then use points you earn with Chase Freedom cards as Ultimate Rewards. That gives you the ability to transfer to travel partners.
Along with 5% rotating categories, Freedom Flex cardmembers also earn 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase’s Ultimate Rewards, 3% cash back on dining and drugstores and 1% cash back on all other purchases. Freedom Flex cardmembers also receive World Elite Mastercard Benefits, including cell phone protection and discounts with Lyft, Shoprunner and more, in addition to Priceless Experiences.
If you don’t have the Chase Freedom Flex card, you can sign up and earn a $200 bonus cash back when you spend $500 within the first three months. Chase Freedom is no longer available for new applications. You can also product change other Chase cards to Freedom Flex. This is a good option if you don’t want to apply for a new card.
These categories are not the best, but can still be useful for Chase Freedom cardholders. Most people will have some gas expenses monthly, so you can easily generate some organic spend in that category. And you can earn 5% even if you drive an EV. Many gas stations also sell third party gift cards, which makes it easier to maximize the spending.
The Live Entertainment categories is also quite generous, so you can possibly find a good use for it. It includes Disney, Six Flags, sport events, ticketing agencies, concerts, museums and more.
Don’t forget to maximize this quarter’s categories as well, which are much better. You have until the end of June to spend $1,500 at:
- Learn more
Let me know what you think. Are you excited with the Q3 options? How do you plan to maximize your spending? Leave a comment below!