DannyDealGuru has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. DannyDealGuru and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Capital One Venture X Review
Capital One has announced today a new credit card, the Venture X. With the Capital One Venture X card, customers will get elevated earn everywhere, with 2X miles on every purchase, plus enhanced earn on travel. You get 10X miles on hotels and rental cars, and 5X miles on flights booked via Capital One Travel. The card also comes with straightforward, uncomplicated travel perks that help cardholders both elevate and streamline their travel experience. There’s also a big Early Spend Bonus for new applicants. Let’s get into this Capital One Venture X review and see how the benefits and the $395 annual fee balance out.
Early Spend Bonus
New cardholders who sign up now can earn
- 100,000 bonus miles after spending $10,000 on purchases in the first 6 months,
- And for a limited time, cardholders can earn up to $200 in statement credits for vacation rental purchases like Airbnb and VRBO.
- LEARN MORE
If you already have a Capital One Venture card and don’t want to apply for another, upgrading to the Venture X should be an option in your account.
Earn up to 100,000 miles per year for referring friends, who can then experience the unparalleled benefits Venture X has to offer (up to 4 referrals per year; 25,000 miles awarded per referral). That’s $250 in value for every person that you refer.
- 2x on all purchases
- 5x on hotels and rental cars
- 10x when booking via Capital One Travel
- $300 in statement credits annually for bookings made through Capital One Travel
- Each year, cardholders will receive 10,000 bonus miles (equal to $100 in travel), starting on their first anniversary.
- Unlimited access to Capital One Lounges for primary cardholders and their authorized users, along with 2 guest passes. Cardholders, authorized users, and their guests also have unlimited access to 1,300+ Priority Pass lounges internationally.
- $100 credit for TSA Precheck or Global Entry.
- Complimentary Hertz President’s Circle status for primary cardholders, authorized users and account managers
- Up to 4 Free Additional User cards
- Visa Infinite Benefits
- Travel and Purchase Protections
- Trip delay and trip cancellation and interruption insurance
- Lost Luggage Insurance
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Cell phone insurance (for primary cardholder and additional users)
- Extended warranty plus purchase protection for items damaged or stolen within 90 days
- LEARN MORE
There are multiple, flexible ways to redeem Venture X rewards. Customers can use miles to book via Capital One Travel, can transfer miles to 15 travel loyalty programs, or redeem rewards for any recent travel purchase, including on purchases such as vacation rentals, flights, hotels, rideshares, cruises, and more.
Capital One Transfer PartnersCustomers will need to transfer a minimum of 1,000 Venture X, Venture X Business, Venture or Spark Miles at a time to travel loyalty programs, and will need to transfer in 100 mile increments.
|Accor Live Limitless||2 : 1|
|Aeromexico Club Premier||1 : 1|
|Air Canada Aeroplan||1 : 1|
|Air France KLM Flying Blue||1 : 1|
|Avianca LifeMiles||1 : 1|
|British Airways (Avios)||1 : 1|
|Cathay Pacific Asia Miles||1 : 1|
|Choice Hotels (Choice Privileges)||1 : 1|
|Emirates Skywards||1 : 1|
|Etihad Airways Etihad Guest||1 : 1|
|EVA Air Infinity MileageLands||2 : 1.5|
|Finnair Plus||1 : 1|
|Qantas Frequent Flyer||1 : 1|
|Qatar Airways Privilege Club||1 : 1|
|Singapore Airlines Krisflyer||1 : 1|
|TAP Air Portugal (Miles&Go)||1 : 1|
|Turkish Airlines (Miles&Smiles)||1 : 1|
|Virgin Red||1 : 1|
|Wyndham Rewards||1 : 1|
The Capital One Venture X card comes with a $395 annual fee. The card definitely makes sense for the first year due to the bog welcome bonus. But even going forward you can get enough value to offset it with some of the benefits mentioned above such as:
- Up to a $300 credit annually credit for bookings made on Capital One Travel
- 10,000 bonus miles every account anniversary (equal to $100 towards travel)
- Unlimited access to Capital One Lounges and also to 1,300+ Priority Pass lounges internationally
Capital One Venture X Review: Guru’s Wrap-up
With the Capital One Venture X, the issuer makes a big entry into the premium card market. However, Capital One has decided to place a lower price tag on its product, making it more accessible. The Capital One Venture X card has a $395 annual fee, while the Chase Sapphire Reserve costs $550 and the Amex Platinum card $695. So the new Capital One product should be a serious competitor with top-tier benefits and also a big welcome bonus.
You can apply and get 100,000 bonus miles after spending $10K in the first 6 months. Once you complete the meet the spending, you will have a minimum of 120K bonus miles. That’s a value of $1,200. Plus you get $200 in credits for vacation rental purchases like Airbnb and VRBO.
Then going forward, you earn 2x on all purchases, 5x on hotels and rental cars and 10x via Capital One Travel. Miles can be redeemed to book via Capital One Travel, or you can transfer to 15 travel loyalty programs. Then you get $300 for booking on Capital One Travel and an extra 10,000 miles annually. Those two benefits alone make up for the annual fee. You also get access to the new Capital One Lounge network that will launch soon and 1,300+ Priority Pass lounges internationally.
Overall this is an impressive product, although Capital One approvals might not be easy. They also pull from all three credit bureaus, but you can get away with freezing one of them at least.
Let me know what you think! Will you apply for the Capital One Venture X card?
DannyDealGuru has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. DannyDealGuru and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
6 thoughts on “Capital One Venture X Card Review: Big Bonus, Valuable Benefits and $395 Fee”
Approved! 710 credit score.
Any idea what benefits AUs get?
Just posted an article about all the authorized user benefits https://dannydealguru.com/venture-x-authorized-user-benefits/
wow! i wasn’t expecting this from Capital One. Very impressive card. Just the annual $300 credit and 10K points make it a keeper long term.
A premium C1 card doesn’t make sense. They want people who carry a balance and don’t pay on time. And they pull from all 3 bureaus.
Why not make it 1 MILLION miles bonus? They will not approve anyone anyway.