Crazy Mistake Amex Offer… Amex Honoring Some of Them
Update (Feb. 2, 2022) – American Express is at it again, sending out crazy Amex Offer to some cardholders. There’s one data point for an offer showing up on an Amex Blue Cash card.
- Get a $3,000 statement credit back by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $1,500 in one or more eligible purchases. Once you add the offer to your eligible Card, you will have 90 days to spend $1,500+ or more, up to 3 times during the offer period. Offer expires 12/31/2022.
Update (Dec. 18, 2021) – What? American Express is actually honoring some of these offers. There are two data points on reddit already. Here’s one for the following offer “Spend $1,000, Get $1,500 back. Up to 3 times”:
That’s insane, although a clawback is also very likely. Let me know if you have received any of these credits as well.
American Express is at it again with a similar crazy offer that we saw over two years ago.
- Get a $1,000 statement credit back by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $1,000 in one or more eligible purchases. Once you add the offer to your eligible Card, you will have 90 days to spend $1,000+ or more, up to 3 times during the offer period. Offer expires 03/13/2022.
I saw this offer on my Amex Gold card. There’s also another version of this offer that promises $5,500 back after you spend $3,00 or more. There’s also an offer for $500 back for spending $500 and son on. (HT: r/amex).
Here are all the offer that I have seen so far:
- Spend $3,000, Get $5,500 back. Up to 3 times.
- Spend $2,500, Get $3,000 back. Up to 3 times.
- Spend $1,000, Get $1,500 back. Up to 3 times.
- Spend $1,000, Get $1,000 back. Up to 3 times.
- Spend $500, Get $500 back. Up to 3 times.
Original article (Aug. 29, 2019) – American Express is targeting some people with a crazy offer that should get you $9,000 in free spend if honored. But it’s obviously a mistake. Probably worth doing mostly for the very slim chance of it actually being honored. (Update: It wasn’t honored)
This Amex Offer with get you $3,000 cash back when you spend $3,000. And you can repeat it up to three times to earn up to $9,000 cash back for spending $9,000. It was probably meant to be just $30 or 3,000 Membership Rewards points. An extra 1x in that case, which is still decent.
There’s different variations of the offer as mentioned in the comments. There’s even some offers that will give you back more than what you spend.
Check your emails and see if you have it. Not sure if you have a chance of fighting to get the $9K in free spend as it is stated in the offer itself. The email is likely sent out to people who have American Express credit cards that earn Membership Rewards points