Update (Jun. 29, 2022) – Some Citi cardholders are now able to refer friends and family members again. If eligible to refer, you can earn $100 per referral with a maximum of $500 annually. This offer was sent out by email and you need to enroll before referring anyone. Offer valid until 12/31/2022.
The signup bonus for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Card seems to be 50K through referrals, which is inferior to the current 75K bonus that’s publicly available. I’m not sure if Citi Double Cash or ThankYou cards are included in referrals this time around (HT: r/churning).
Original article (Nov 2, 2018 ) – Citi is getting into the credit card referral game, maybe after seeing the popularity of the new referral system over at American Express. Some people are seeing offers online or receiving emails about referral bonuses. These bonuses are showing up for Citi Double Cash Card, ThankYou points cards and American Airlines. Here’s the offers we have seen so far:
- Get $100 when referring a friend to Citi Double Cash. Max 5 referrals over the next 12 months.
- Get 10,000 ThankYou points when referring a friend to Citi ThankYou Premier card. Max 5 referrals over the next 12 months.
- Get 10,000 American Airlines miles when referring a friend to Citi AA Platinum Select card. Max 5 referrals over the next 12 months.
- After you spend $500 in a 12-month period beginning from date of enrollment, you will receive a bonus Cash Back award of $100 for each friend you refer through this Refer-a-friend offer.
- Bonus Cash Back will post to your account within 1-2 billing cycles.
- You are limited to a maximum of 20 referrals and 5 bonus awards per 12 month period beginning from your enrollment date.
It’s good to see Citi offering the option to refer friends to signup for cards and earn a referral bonus. You can earn up to $500, 50K ThankYou points or 50K American Airlines AAdvantage miles. But it’s still not clear what kind of signup bonus these referrals offer. Or if they offer a signup bonus at all. I don’t have these referral options myself.