THIS OFFER HAS EXPIRED.
See the best credit card signup bonuses that are available now.
Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard, 60K Bonus Plus Companion Certificate
Barclays is offering once again one of the best bonuses on their AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard. You can get 60,000 miles plus a a Companion Certificate.
- Earn 60,000 AAdvantage bonus miles after making your first purchase in the first 90 days and paying the $99 annual fee.
- Earn an introductory Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after making your first purchase in the first 90 days and paying the $99 annual fee.
- Allow 8-10 weeks for the certificate to post after meeting the requirements, but it could be sooner than that.
- Certificate is valid for one year after it’s issued, travel must also be completed within this time frame.
- The companion certificate is good for a round trip domestic economy fare (L, M, N, Q, S, V, G or O)
- Flights must be booked at least 14 days before departure.
- Must book with the same Barclays Aviator Red Mastercard
- Primary cardholders must be the one flying on the primary ticket
- 0% intro APR for 15 months on balance transfers made within 45 days of account opening.
Annual fee of $99 (not waived first year).
Earning on this card in not great. You get one AA mile per dollar on all purchases and 2 AA miles per dollar on eligible American Airlines purchases.
You also have the ability to earn $3,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) when you spend $25,000 each calendar year. If you spend $5,000 more you also get $100 American Airlines Flight Discount (the “Flight Discount”) after you spend $30,000 or more during your cardmembership year.
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1X miles for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Group 1 boarding
- First checked bag free for the primary cardmember and up to four companions on eligible bags when traveling on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines
- No foreign transaction fees when you make purchases outside the U.S.
- Receive 25% inflight savings as statement credits on food and beverages when you use your card on American Airlines operated flights.
- Get up to $25 back as statement credits on inflight Wi-Fi purchases every anniversary year on American Airlines operated flights.
- Each anniversary year, earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date.
Applying for the Card
Barclay will usually only approve you for a card every 6 months. If you have a Barclay card, is bet to put some spend on it before applying for another card. They don’t like dormant cardholders. There’s no real limit on the number of cards you can have with Barclay.
They also have a 6/24 rule. That means that they might not approve you if you’ve had more than 6 new cards in the last 24 months. I say might, because we’re not sure if it still applies, and even before it was never really a hard rule.
Now they also added the following language:
In addition, you may not be eligible for this offer if, at any time during our relationship with you, we have cause, as determined by us in our sole discretion, to suspect that the account is being obtained or will be used for abusive or gaming activity (such as, but not limited to, obtaining or using the account to maximize rewards earned in a manner that is not consistent with typical consumer activity and/or multiple credit card account applications/openings).
This offer gives you 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage miles with just one purchase, plus a Companion Certificate for $99 that comes with some limitations (same as the one you earn after after spending $20K). Definitely a good opportunity to add more miles to your AA accounts.