DannyDealGuru has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. DannyDealGuru and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Amex Adds New Cell Phone Protection Benefit
American Express is improving its credit card products by adding Cell Phone Protection as a new benefit for eligible U.S. Consumer and Small Business Cards, inclusive of protection against screen damage, which is typically excluded from damage coverage.
Effective April 1, 2021, if a Card Members’ cell phone is stolen or damaged, including a cracked screen, they can be reimbursed for the repair or replacement costs for up to two approved claims, for a maximum of $800 per claim or $1,600 per 12-month period, when their cell phone line is listed on a wireless bill and the prior month’s wireless bill was paid by an Eligible Card Account. A $50 deductible applies to each approved claim.
Cell Phone Protection will be included for no additional cost for the following American Express Card Members:
Centurion® Card from American Express
Business Centurion Card®
The Platinum Card® Exclusively for Charles Schwab
The Platinum Card® Exclusively for Morgan Stanley
The Platinum Card® Exclusively for Goldman Sachs
The Centurion® Card Exclusively for Goldman Sachs
Coverage is provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company, at no-additional-cost to Card Membership. For more information about the coverage, you can check out the Guide to Benefits at americanexpress.com/us/credit-
How to File a Claim
You can call the number on the back of your eligible American Express credit card to start a claim. You must report the claim within 90 days of the loss, or as soon as reasonably possible, or the claim may not be honored. Upon receipt of a notice of claim, American Express will provide you with the necessary instructions for filing proof of loss. Written proof of loss must be submitted to the Administrator within 120 days of the loss or the claim may not be honored. Required documentation may include but is not limited to the following:
- Your Eligible Card Account statement reflecting the monthly Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone payments for the month preceding the date the
Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone was Stolen or suffered damage;
- A copy of your current Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone service provider’s billing statement;
- Copy of the original Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone purchase receipt or other sufficient proof of the Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone
model currently linked to the Eligible Person’s Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone account
- Copy of the insurance claim to the Eligible Person’s homeowner’s, renter’s or personal automobile insurance or any applicable cellular telephone
insurance, or in the event that the claim amount is less than the Eligible Person’s deductible, a copy of the policy’s declarations page;
- If a claim is due to damage, a copy of the repair estimate and photos of the damage;
- If the claim is due to theft, a copy of the police report filed within 48 hours of the theft; and
- Any other documentation or information reasonably requested by us to support the claim.
What is NOT Covered
- Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone accessories other than the standard battery and standard antenna provided by the
- Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephones purchased for resale or for professional or commercial use. Exclusion applies for
Consumer card accounts only;
Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephones that are lost or Mysterious Disappearance;
- Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephones under the care and control of a common carrier, including, but not limited to, the U.S.
Postal Service, airplanes or delivery service;
- Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephones which have been rented, leased, borrowed or Cellular Wireless Telephones that are
received as part of a pre-paid plan;
- Cosmetic damage (i.e. superficial abrasions or scuffs) to the Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone or damage that does not
impact the Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone’s ability to make or receive phone calls;
- Damage or theft resulting from abuse, intentional acts, fraud, hostilities of any kind (including, but not limited to, war,
invasion, rebellion or insurrection), confiscation by the authorities, risks of contraband, illegal activities, normal wear and tear,
flood, earthquake, radioactive contamination, or damage from inherent product defects or vermin;
- Damage or theft resulting from mis-delivery or voluntary parting from the Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone;
- Replacement Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone(s) purchased from anyone other than a cellular service provider’s retail or
internet store that has the ability to initiate activation with the cellular service provider;
- Taxes, delivery or transportation charges or any fees associated with the service provided; or
- Losses covered under a warranty issued by a manufacturer, distributor or seller.
This is a great benefit, especially since it includes cracked screens, which seem to be getting more fragile with every new phone that comes out. The benefit could be more be more beneficial to Delta cardholders that also receive monthly wireless credits through the end of the year.
DannyDealGuru has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. DannyDealGuru and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.