Amex Business Gold Card Changes
American Express today introduced the refreshed U.S. American Express Business Gold Card with enhanced ability to earn 4X Membership Rewards points in top business spending categories, enroll in benefits to earn statement credits and other new business-focused benefits. It also comes with the option for the popular Rose Gold design, which until now was only available to Consumer Gold Card Members.
There’s also an annual fee increase that will kick in next year and the 25% airline bonus is going away at the same time.
With this card revamp, American Express has not launched a new welcome offer. But the offers on the American Express Business Gold Card are dynamic and personalized, and you can normally get up to 130,000 Membership Rewards points.
Let’s go over the changes.
More Bonus Categories
Card Members can use the U.S. Business Gold Card to automatically earn 4X Membership Rewards points in the top two eligible categories where their business spent the most each billing cycle to help take the guesswork out of earning rewards. Applicable on the first $150,000 in combined purchases each calendar year, including:
- (NEW) U.S. purchases made from electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers.,
- (NEW) Monthly wireless telephone service charges made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the U.S.,
- (NEW) Transit purchases including trains, taxicabs, rideshare services, ferries, tolls, parking, buses, and subways.,
- Purchases at U.S. media providers for advertising in select media (online, TV, radio,
- U.S. purchases at gas stations, and
- U.S. purchases at restaurants, including takeout and delivery.
Airfare purchased directly from airlines and purchases for shipping in the U.S. have been removed from the 4X categories.
You can now also earn 3X Membership Rewards points on eligible purchases through AmexTravel.com. Card Members will continue to earn 1X points on other eligible purchases.
Card Member now get new monthly credits for FedEx, Grubhub, and Office Supply Stores, and for Walmart+.
- $240 Flexible Business Credit: earn up to $20 in statement credits each month after you use the Business Gold Card for eligible purchases at FedEx, Grubhub, and Office Supply Stores. Enrollment required.
- Walmart+ Membership Credit: use the Business Gold Card to pay for a monthly Walmart + membership (subject to auto-renewal) and full cost each month, valued at $155 annually.
Terms indicate that eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents.
Cell Phone Protection
The card now offers Cell Phone Protection. That means that you will get reimbursed the lesser of your repair or replacement costs following damage, such as a cracked screen, or theft for a maximum of $800 per claim when your cell phone line is listed on a wireless bill and the prior month’s wireless bill was paid by an Eligible Card Account. A $50 deductible will apply to each approved claim with a limit of 2 approved claims per 12-month period. Additional terms and conditions apply.
Rose Gold Design
American Express has added for the first time the option for the popular Rose Gold design for the Business Gold Card. This is an option that was first introduced for the consumer Gold Card.
25% Airline Bonus Going Away
Currently, Business Gold Card Members receive 2.5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points through American Express Travel (25% Airline Bonus), up to 250,000 bonus points per calendar year, per each Membership Rewards account. This will only be available through January 31, 2024, and will then be removed as a benefit starting February 1st, 2024.
With the added benefits and earning options, American Express is also increasing the annual fee for the Business Gold Card.
Starting February 1st, 2024, the card with have an annual fee of $375. That’s up from the current fee of $295.
After February 1st, 2024, all new applicants and renewals will be charged the higher fee. But if you apply before then, you can get the added benefits while still paying the lower annual fee.
This is the best offer you can find for the American Express® Business Gold Card, but you can also see offers for 70K, 90K and 110K.
- Earn 130,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 or more on eligible purchases on your Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership starting from the date your account is approved.
- Annual Fee $295 ($375 for applications on or after 2/1/24)
- REFERRAL LINK | DIRECT LINK
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility. You can see the offer details here. Try opening the links in different browsers, clean browser windows, or applying from different locations.
We also normally see targeted offers for select American Express customers. One of those offers is for 90K bonus points, plus an additional 5K for adding an employee card. These offers don’t have the usual lifetime restriction, but you need to log in to see if you are eligible to apply.