Spirit Airlines has agreed to a proposed $8.25 million settlement that has been reached in a class action concerning the carry-on fees it charged United States passengers who booked their first Spirit flight through certain online travel agents.
The settlement was reached in Cox, et al., v. Spirit Airlines, Inc., Civil Action No. 17-CV-5172 (EK)(VMS), which is pending in federal court in Brooklyn, New York and is subject to approval by that Court.
In August 2017, a class action lawsuit was filed against Spirit Airlines in which the Plaintiffs alleged that they entered into a contract with Spirit Airlines through certain online travel agents to fly on Spirit and that the price they paid for the Spirit flight included their right to bring a carry-on bag on the plane for no additional charge. Plaintiffs allege that Spirit Airlines breached that contract when they were later required to pay a fee to Spirit Airlines to bring a carry-on bag on the plane. In July 2023, the parties reached an agreement to settle the case, which means they have reached an agreement to resolve the lawsuit.
Check out all the details below and file a claim on or before January 10, 2024.
Who is Eligible for the Spirit Airlines Settlement?
You are part of the settlement class if you:
- booked a flight on Spirit Airlines through Expedia, Kiwi, CheapOair, CheapTickets, Travelocity, or Bookit between August 31, 2011 and May 3, 2017, and paid a carry-on bag fee;
- were a resident of the United States or a U.S. Territory at the time you booked your flight; and
- that flight was your first flight on Spirit after August 1, 2010, you are a member of the class and will be entitled to money, unless the statute of limitations for contract claims in your State or Territory precludes you from recovering.
Click here to determine if the statute of limitations for the State or Territory in which you resided when you booked your first Spirit flight during the period August 31, 2011, to May 3, 2017, has any impact on your ability to receive a settlement share.
Related: See All Settlement Rebates Here
If approved by the Court, Spirit will pay up to $8.25 million to settle this lawsuit. If you submit a Claim Form establishing you are entitled to a settlement share, and the Court approves the settlement, you will receive up to 75% of the carry-on bag fee you paid for your first flight on Spirit during the relevant period.
The actual percentage of the carry-on fee you paid that you will receive will depend on the amount of court approved payments for attorneys’ fees and for reimbursement of expenses and for service awards to the named plaintiffs, and the number of timely and valid Claims submitted.
Filing a Claim
To qualify for payment, you must submit a Claim Form to the Settlement Administrator:
- On this website, by clicking here and completing the entire form, by January 10, 2024;
- If mailed, have it completed (including your signature) and postmarked or delivered to the Settlement Administrator by January 10, 2024.
To be valid, your Claim Form must contain all the requested information and must be signed (by hand or electronically) by you.
By signing and submitting a claim form, you swear under penalty of perjury that the information provided is true and correct.