Pay United Cards Annual Fees with MileagePlus Miles
Chase and United Airlines offer several credit cards that earn MileagePlus miles. The value of United miles has been declining in recent years, but there’s one good redemption option that you might not be aware of.
Chase United Airlines cardholders can use United MileagePlus miles to pay their credit card annual fees. This option will yield a value up to 1.75 cents per mile (up from a flat 1.5 on all cards), which is higher that what you can often get when redeeming for award flights.
Eligible Credit Cards
- United Club Infinite Card (1.75 cents per point)
- Use 30,000 miles to cover the $525 annual fee
- United Quest Card (1.60 cents per point)
- Use 15,625 miles to cover the $250 annual fee
- United Explorer Card (1.52 cents per point)
- Use 6,250 miles to cover the $95 annual fee
- United Business Explorer Card (1.50 cents per point)
- Use 6,600 miles to cover the $99 annual fee
How to Use Miles to Pay Annual Fee
Here’s how to go about redeeming MileagePlus miles to cover the annual fee on your Chase United credit cards:
- Sign into your account at chase.com
- Click on “More” on the top right corner of your account page
- Select “Rewards dashboard” from the menu
- Choose “Use MileagePlus miles with Pay Yourself Back” on the top navigation bar
If you are a United Awards Cardmember (no longer available to new cardmembers) and want to redeem miles for your annual fee, please call the number on the back of your credit card to reach a Chase specialist who can process your transaction.
There are a few other details worth mentioning:
- You can use miles for partial annual fee reimbursement.
- Miles may be redeemed for a statement credit using Pay Yourself Back against the prior payment of your annual fee within 90 days before the redemption request date.
- Redemption values is shown on the transaction page prior to redemption.
- Redemption values may change at any time.
- Statement credits will post to the card account within 3 business days of a request to redeem and will appear on the monthly Chase credit card billing statement within 1-2 billing cycles.
- Statement credits will reduce your balance but you are still required to make at least your minimum monthly payment.
You can get a value between 1.5¢ and 1.75¢ per mile when you redeem towards your United credit card annual fee. That’s actually a pretty good value for MileagePlus miles, and it’s even better now that it has been increased from a flat 1.5¢.
Chase and United Airlines are also offering increased welcome bonuses on several credit cards for a limited time.
HT: Doctor of Credit
Disclaimer: I receive part of the commission when you use any of the links in this article to apply for credit cards through yourbestcreditcards.com.