Marriott Start Refunding Unused Travel Packages
Update (Mar. 10, 2022) – Those who had unused Marriott Travel packages are finally receiving their refunds today. Check your accounts.
Marriott Has Not Yet Refunded Unused Travel Packages
Original article (Mar. 6, 2022) – Marriott Bonvoy announced in January that they would end Travel Packages. However, they gave some extra time to customers to purchase or to use those they had already purchased. Marriott said that certificates that weren’t used the end of February, would then be refunded. This all comes as Marriott plans to get rid of its award chart later this month and transition to flexible points redemption rates.
But going back to those unused Travel Package certificates, refunds should have already been issued. “If your Travel Package Award remains unattached after February 28, 2022, the hotel portion of your Travel Package Award will be automatically canceled and refunded in full to your Marriott Bonvoy Account in Points on March 1, 2022,” Marriott’s announcement said.
How Refunds Are Supposed to Work
The refund was supposed to work like this:
- If you bought a category 1-4 certificate and 110K miles for 330K Marriott points you will get a refund of 210K Marriott points after 2/28 if you don’t use your hotel certificate.
- Category 5 certificate and 110K miles for 390K Marriott points: Refund of 280K Marriott points after 2/28 if you don’t use your hotel certificate.
- Category 6 certificate and 110K miles for 510K Marriott points: Refund of 420K Marriott points after 2/28 if you don’t use your hotel certificate.
- Category 7 certificate and 110K miles for 570K Marriott points: Refund of 490K Marriott points after 2/28 if you don’t use your hotel certificate.
- Category 8 certificate and 110K miles for 750K Marriott points: Refund of 700K Marriott points after 2/28 if you don’t use your hotel certificate.
Still No Refunds
All this was supposed to happen in March 1st. It’s now March 6th and we still haven’t seen any refunds.
Instead, these certificates in Marriott Bonvoy accounts have changed into a different type, but with the same expiration date. This is happening across the board for everyone who has unused Travel Package certificates in their accounts.
I reached out to Marriott two days ago and haven’t heard anything back from their media team. Some people have been told over the phone by reps that there are a lot more of these travel packages floating around than Marriott thought and their original plan to convert them didn’t work. We could see refunds start around the middle of this week.
Hopefully Marriott customers start seeing refunds in the next few days. With Marriott ditching their award chart at the end of March, people need their points now so they can book their favorite properties before award costs go up.
Let me know if you have any of these Marriott certificates, or if you have heard anything else from Marriott regarding these refunds.