Hyatt Delays Award Chart Changes, Extends Points Expiration
Hyatt has some good news for its members today. World of Hyatt was supposed to introduce peak and off-peak pricing last year. But plans were delayed due to the pandemic. The planned changes were as follows:
- Off-peak – Starting at 3,500 points per night – the best value when hotels are less busy
- Standard – Stays the same, starting at 5,000 points per night – the most common rate
- Peak – Starting at 6,500 points per night – when hotels are busiest
Now Hyatt has announced that it will delay the introduction of peak award pricing until later this year. Hyatt told me that they are further postponing the introduction of Off-Peak and Peak point redemption until mid-October 2021. You will be able to book with the current award chart through March of next year. Starting mid-October, members will start to see Off-peak and Peak pricing for stays in March 2022 and beyond.
Hyatt is also extending the suspension on points forfeiture. Previously suspended through June 30, 2021, Hyatt is further suspending the forfeiture of points through December 31, 2021. As a reminder, the general policy is that points do not expire, but they will be forfeited if a member’s account is inactive for 24 months. As a result of the extensions, this means that any member without qualifying activity for 24 or more months as of December 31, 2021 will forfeit their points in January 2022.
- Members have more time to redeem their awards: All unused Suite Upgrade and Club Lounge Access awards that had February 28, 2021, expiration dates have been extended through December 31, 2021. In addition, all unused Free Night awards that were earned in 2020 with 2021 expiration dates have been extended to December 31, 2021. This gives members more time to take advantage of any unused awards before the end of year!
- Members can earn elite status twice as fast in 2021: Requirements for earning elite tiers in 2021 have been lowered by 50%. This means that members are able to qualify or requalify for elite status with half the Tier-Qualifying Nights or Base Points normally required.
- Up to 25% off or free night on stays through September