IRS Launches New Tool to Track Your Stimulus Payment
Millions of Americans are starting to see Economic Impact Payments deposited directly in their bank accounts. The U.S. Department of the Treasury and IRS expect tens of millions of Americans will receive their payments via direct deposit by Wednesday, April 15. An estimated 80 million people should have seen their checks deposited today. These payments are being automatically issued to eligible 2019 or 2018 federal tax return filers who received a refund using direct deposit.
Social Security retirement and disability beneficiaries will also automatically receive their payments. Those who do not typically file tax returns and have not provided the IRS with their bank account information, and anyone else receiving paper checks will have to wait a longer. No checks have been mailed out yet. It will take a couple of months probably for checks to arrive.
The Economic Impact Payments, as the IRS deemed them, are worth up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples, plus $500 for each qualifying child. You can read more details here.
Track Your Stimulus Payment
For those still waiting for their payment, you can now track it on the Internal Revenue Service website. This new tool, called “Get My Payment” was launched today. It was initially overloaded and it took forever to check your stimulus check status.
You will need to input your Social Security number and the mailing address on your last tax return to check the status of your check. Many users were told initially that more information was needed or that their status was not available. But, that should be fixed now.
Filers: Get Your Payment
Use the “Get My Payment” application to:
- Check your payment status
- Confirm your payment type: direct deposit or check
- Enter your bank account information for direct deposit if we don’t have your direct deposit information and we haven’t sent your payment yet
Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info Here
If you don’t file taxes, use the “Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info Here” application to provide simple information so you can get your payment. You should use this application if:
- You did not file a 2018 or 2019 federal income tax return because your gross income was under $12,200 ($24,400 for married couples). This includes people who had no income. Or
- You weren’t required to file a 2018 or 2019 federal income tax return for other reasons.