M1 Finance Review, Easy $50 Bonus and Free Automated Investing
M1 Finance is a free investing app. It makes it easy to invest for beginners, and those who don’t want to actively trade by providing free automated investing. The signup process is quick and easy and now there’s also a bonus of $30 when you open an account and deposit $100 or more. Check out the latest signup bonus below and also a M1 Finance review that will let you know if this is the right trading app for you.
M1 Finance Signup Bonus
M1 Finance usually has a $10-$30 signup bonus. Now you can get the best bonus ever offered, and it is quite easy. Here’s how to get $50 with a new account:
- Create a new account.
- Fund it with the minimum amount required, based on your account type:
- Individual – $100
- Joint – $100
- Custodial – $100
- Trust – $5,000
- Retirement (Traditional, Roth, or SEP IRA) – $500
- Must keep funds in the new account for 30 days from the date of deposit.
Once credited, you will see a $50 Promotional Credit in Activity.
- Offer available to U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents only.
- M1 reserves the right to terminate this offer at any time.
- Valid 12:00 a.m. ET 11/03/2021 through 11:59 p.m. ET 3/31/2022.
You can also invite friends and earn the same bonus as the person signing up, once they complete the bonus requirements. Friends must sign up using your referral link, or referral code. You can find this in your app or desktop version:
- Open your Invest screen (mobile) or click on your name (web)
- At the top right hand corner click on the silhouette (app) or your name (web)
- Click “Refer & Earn” (this will only be visible if your account is funded)
- Share your unique referral link with a friend
Brokerage Transfer Bonus
M1 Finance also offers a big bonus if you transfer investments from another institution. Setting up your transfer takes just 4 minutes and could earn you up to $5,000. Here’s how:
- Get a copy of a recent account statement from your brokerage.
- Ensure you have an account open at M1 that matches the account type you’re transferring (e.g. if you are transferring securities from a joint brokerage account, you’ll need a joint brokerage account open at M1).
- Submit a transfer request from another brokerage account during the Promotion Period (01/05/2022 12:00 am ET– 02/18/2022 11:59 pm ET). Click here to get started.
- Promotional Credits (see table below) will be paid to eligible clients by August 18, 2022.
The bonus you earn depends on the value of investments that you transfer. You don’t need to transfer it all at once. As long as your total transfers before February 18 hit the mark, you’ll get your Invest bonus. Here’s the bonus breakdown:
|$50,000 – $499,999.99||$500|
|$500,000 – $999,999.99||$1,000|
|$1,000,000 – $1,999,999.99||$2,500|
|$2,000,000 – $4,999,999.99||$4,000|
M1 Finance Review
M1 Finance is a free automated investing platform. This service offers a combination of automated investing, but with a high level of customization that allows clients to create a portfolio tailored to their specifications. That makes it a good app for beginners and also sophisticated investors. You can set up a weekly or monthly transfer that is automatically invested. The app, which is available for both iOS and Android, offers a debit card that integrates directly into the platform and offers rewards and cash back on qualified purchases. There’s also a desktop version.
With M1, you can choose one of more than 80 expert portfolios that are readily available, or you can build your own. You can also build pies, which are circular charts showing asset mixes in a portfolio. You can customize your pie as you wish, changing what’s included in it, or what percentage goes to each stock. M1’s platform is quite flexible, with stock and ETF screeners to help with investment selection. One downside is that mutual funds or options are not included.
Account types supported are individual and joint taxable accounts, traditional and Roth IRAs, and trust accounts.
The trading window begins at 9:30 a.m. ET on days that the NYSE market is open, and it runs until all orders have been completed. If you need to make changes to your portfolio, make sure to do so before 8 a.m. ET so they can be executed the same day.
Opening an M1 Finance account is simple and easy, as it’s the case with most similar apps. Enter your email address and your password, and then you’re off to building your own investment pie. You can also choose one of the Expert Pies near the bottom of the screen.
Once you are done customizing your pie, then you proceed to enter your personal information such full name, address social, assets and so on. You will then be directed to link a bank account.
M1 does not charge any portfolio management or trading fees. Deposits and withdrawals to a connected bank account are also free. But, accounts with less than $20 and no trading activity for 90 days will have a monthly fee. Also, regulatory fees and additional service fees do apply. Portfolios with ETFs can incur management fees on the underlying funds that range from 0.06% to 0.20%.
You can also upgrade to a M1 Plus account for $125. This is sometimes offered for free as well. With M1 Plus you get a second daily trading window as well as a discount on the interest rate when taking out loans through M1 Borrow. You’ll also earn interest on cash through M1 Spend.
I have several investing apps, and M1 is one of them. The auto invest feature stands out. I have set a weekly deposit. It is invested equally in four stocks that I have selected. It really makes it easy for those who just want to automatically invest without worrying too much about it. I usually adjust my investments every few months.
More Free Stocks & Cash
- TradeStation - $150 Bonus
- tastyworks - 100 Free Stocks with $2K Deposit
- Moomoo - 6 Free Stocks
- WeBull - 5 Free Stocks
- M1 Finance - $50 Bonus with $100 deposit
- SoFi Invest - $10 Bonus
- Robinhood - 1 Free Stock
- Firstrade - 1 Free Stock
- Tornado - $10 to $1,000 Signup Bonus
- Public - $10 in Stocks
- TradeUP - $20 + Up to Free Amazon Stock
- Stash - $25 Signup bonus + $50 with Direct Deposit
- Acorns - $5 Bonus plus $200+ with 4 Referrals