Eligibility for Chase Sapphire Preferred Bonus
The Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card currently has an increased welcome bonus of 80,000 Ultimate Rewards points. That’s worth at least $1,000 in cash for travel, and easily more than that when transferring points to travel partners.
However, this elevated welcome bonus will not be around for long. If you want to take advantage of this offer, you have to apply before 6PM on June 1st. This same offer is also available through referrals, and that the best way to go if you have a friend or family member that can refer you. And referral link often have these increased offers for a week or two, after public links expire.
But assuming that the last day to apply is June 1st, then today you can make some moves that will make you eligible to apply and get approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card. It applies to those who currently have the card in their wallet. You can product change your CSP to another Chase card, and then you have at least four days to apply. Check out some of the most important rules of eligibility for Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Application and Bonus Rules
Here are some important things to keep in mind about getting approved and receiving the welcome bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card:
- Chase 5/24 – As with most Chase credit cards, you need to be under Chase 5/24 in order to get approved for the card. Read more about the Chase 5/24 rule.
- 48 month Chase card family rule – This product is available to you if you have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months.
- Sapphire cardholders not eligible – This product is available to you if you do not have a Sapphire card. That includes the Sapphire Preferred, no-fee Sapphire, and Sapphire Reserve cards. Authorized users on a Sapphire Preferred account are eligible to apply for their own Sapphire Preferred card.
- Product Changing – If you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card in your wallet, doesn’t mean that you can’t apply. However you need to PC your current card to another Chase card such as Freedom for example (you have to call). After that, you need to wait at least 4 calendar days to apply for the same card. (This is the reason that you have to do this now, and still have enough time to apply before the 80K bonus is gone). If you close your current Sapphire Preferred card you need to wait 30 days. So it’s best to just PC. Plus, you can never have too many Freedom cards.
- 5x Points on travel purchased through Chase
- 3x Points on
- online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
- select streaming services
- 2x Points on all other travel purchases
- 1x Point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- $50 Annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit
- 10% anniversary points boost
- Transfer 1:1 to the regular Ultimate Reward transfer partners
- 5x Points on Lyft Rides through March 2025.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Pay Yourself Back (1.25¢ redemption for Ultimate Rewards points)
This is one of the best bonuses we have seen. So if you are eligible, or can be become eligible before it’s gone, then it’s definitely worth applying. Referral offers are the best option, since the person referring you also gets 20,000 Ultimate Rewards points. In-branch applications are also a better option that the online offer, as you will have the $95 annual fee waived for the first year.
Have any questions about your eligibility for this Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus? Ask away in the comments section.
Disclaimer: I receive part of the commission when you use any of the links in this article to apply for credit cards through yourbestcreditcards.com.