Discover Card 4th Quarter 5% Categories
Discover revealed today the 5% Cashback Bonus categories for the fourth quarter of 2023. Beginning October 1st, Discover it and Discover More (no longer available) cardmembers can earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Amazon.com and Target October through December 31st 2023 on up to $1,500 in purchases. That’s up to $75 cash back for the quarter.
In addition to 5% Cashback Bonus at Amazon.com and Target, Discover it and Discover More cardmembers will earn 1% cash back on all other purchases as well. And first year cardmembers get an unlimited dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back they earn at the end of their first year, automatically. All with no annual fee.
4th Quarter of 2023: 5% Categories
Activate to earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Amazon.com and Target from 10/1/23 (or the date on which you activate 5%, whichever is later) through 12/31/23, on up to $1,500 in purchases.
- Amazon.com purchases include those made through the Amazon.com checkout, like digital downloads, Amazon Fresh orders, Amazon Local Deals, Amazon Prime subscriptions, and items sold by third party merchants through Amazon.com’s marketplace. This also includes purchases in-store at Amazon Go. Amazon, the Amazon.com logo, the smile logo and all related marks are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
- Target purchases include those made in store at Target, Target.com, or through the Target app. Purchases from individual merchants and stand-alone stores within physical Target locations may not be eligible for this promotion. Purchases made online or through the Target app from Target affiliates, individual merchants or stand-alone stores may not be eligible for this promotion, including, but not limited to, targetoptical.com and targetphoto.com.
- To qualify for 5%, the purchase transaction date must be before or on the last day of the offer or promotion.
- For online purchases, the transaction date from the merchant may be the date when the item ships.
- Rewards are added to your account within two billing periods.
- Even if a purchase appears to fit in a 5% category, the merchant may not have a merchant category code (MCC) in that category.
- Merchants and payment processors are assigned an MCC based on their typical products and services.
In order to earn 5% cash back, you have to activate the bonus before making your purchases. The 1st quarter bonus categories can be activated now by visiting this page and logging into your account. You can also activate with one click through emails sent out by Discover.
Apply for Discover it Card
If you don’t have the Discover it card currently, you can currently apply and get a $100 bonus. You also earn double cashback during your first cardmember year. That means you earn 2% cashback on all purchases and 10% cashback on bonus category purchases.
You can have up to two Discover cards, but you need to wait at least a year to apply for the second one.
If you want to have your Discover it referrals shared on the site, you can add it in this thread in our Facebook Group.
Discover card’s 4th quarter bonus categories for 2023 are useful but not very exciting. Amazon cards and the Target RedCard already give you 5% cash back and a 5% discount at these merchants. Just make sure you activate the 4th Quarter bonus categories first, before you make any purchases.
This is also a good time to check if you have maximized spending for the current quarter. Discover is giving 5% back for Gas Station and Digital Wallet purchases in the 3rd quarter (through September 30). Those are good categories that should come in handy.