Amex Platinum Cardholders, $30 Monthly Credits for PayPal Purchases
As 2020 came to an end, so did the monthly credits that Amex Platinum cardholders could earn for wireless and streaming services. But now there’s a new credit that should be even easier to use. You can get $30 monthly for PayPal purchases. Let’s see how this new Amex Platinum PayPal credit works and who is eligible.
From January 1 through June 30, 2021 you can earn up to $30 in statement credits each month when you use your Platinum Card or Centurion Card for transactions made with PayPal at eligible merchants. Valid only for purchases made in U.S. Dollars using U.S. PayPal accounts. You will also earn Membership Rewards points for the PayPal charges that are credited through this offer. No enrollment required.
These PayPal purchases are excluded in the terms; reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments including those for goods and services, or purchases of other cash equivalents. You can see the details of the offer here.
The monthly credits are per Platinum account. So if you have more than one Platinum card you can get more than one monthly credit. This is personal Amex Platinum cards only (Schwab also), not the Business version.
- Purchases made by both the Basic Card Member and Additional Card Members are eligible for the offer.
- To make a purchase with PayPal, enter your Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card details into your PayPal account and select PayPal at checkout. Then, when making a purchase at an eligible merchant, select your eligible American Express Card at PayPal checkout.
- Eligible purchases do not include fees or interest charges, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments including those for goods and services, or purchases of other cash equivalents.
- Allow up to 12 weeks after the eligible purchases are charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Card Account.
- Statement credits may be reversed if the eligible purchase is returned. Additionally, if American Express determines that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
- If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time balance.
This is a very generous addition that should easily get you $180 in value. You can use PayPal for a wide variety of purchases. So everyone who has an Amex Platinum card can take advantage of it. Definitely takes out some of the sting of that huge $550 annual fee. Amex has done a good job at adding value, while cardholders are not able to use all travel benefits. Just keep in mind that American Express cards can no longer be used with PayPal Key after January 4.
Let me know what you think of this Amex Platinum PayPal credit! Would it make you consider keeping the card, or applying for it? Also don’t forget more credits that you can start using now that the new year has started.