Some American Express cardholders are being targeted with an offer to upgrade to the Amex Platinum Card and receive 25,000 Membership Rewards points. You can find this Amex Platinum Card upgrade offer either in your account, or could have been sent by email.
To be eligible to earn the 25,000 Membership Rewards points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards program at the time of purchase. 25,000 Membership Rewards points will be credited to your account after you charge a total of $2,000 (the “Threshold Amount”) or more of purchases on your Platinum Card® from American Express within the first 3 months of Platinum Card® Membership. Qualifying purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account.
- 5X MR points on airfare booked directly with airlines or through Amex Travel
- 5X MR points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com
- 1X MR points on all other purchases
- 200 in annual Uber savings
- $200 airline fee credit
- Fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck: Receive one Global Entry ($100) statement credit or one TSA Precheck ($85) statement credit
- Access to over 1,000+ airport lounges, including The Centurion lounge, Delta Sky Clubs, Airspace Lounges and Priority Pass Select membership
- SPG Gold status (also give you Marriott Gold status)
- Hilton Gold status
- Unlimited Boingo internet access
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
This card has a $550 annual fee.
When you upgrade, your card anniversary date doesn’t change. You will be charged a prorated annual membership fee for your new Card based on the time remaining until your next account anniversary date.
We usually see offers for 60,000 points to upgrade to Amex Platinum. That’s a targeted offer also, but much better than 25K. But this could still be a decent option for those who want the benefits of the Amex Platinum card again. There’s no hard pull when upgrading. You can receive the upgrade bonus even if you’ve had the card previously. You could also possibly still be eligible for future offers on the card, even after the upgrade (assuming you never had the card before).
Let me know if you’re targeted or if you see any different offers.