This is not really a deal, but it is an opportunity to do some good in the world with no extra effort. Whole Foods Market announced today that Amazon and Chase will donate an amount equal to 2% of in store and online purchases made with an Amazon Rewards Visa Card – up to a maximum of $1,000,000 – to Whole Planet Foundation, a nonprofit organization that alleviates global poverty through microloans. Those using an Amazon Rewards Visa Card at Whole Foods Market will still earn 3% Back on Whole Foods Market purchases, or 5% Back for cardmembers with an eligible Prime membership.
Since 2006, Whole Planet Foundation has disbursed $75 million through microfinance partners in 75 countries, including in 17 cities in the U.S. Whole Planet Foundation collaborates with a wide network of microfinance organizations and supports entrepreneurs in some of the most marginalized and remote communities around the world.
“We are thrilled to have Chase and Amazon donate when shoppers use their Amazon Rewards Visa Card,” said Philip Sansone, president and executive director for Whole Planet Foundation. “For a woman investing in her home-based bakery, neighborhood shop, small scale farm, or artisan goods she sells in a marketplace, a microcredit loan of $200 or less can give her the chance to create or expand her business, and help lift her out of poverty.”
Key Benefits of the Amazon Rewards Visa Card:
- From March 1 to 14, Amazon and Chase will donate 2% of Whole Foods Market purchases made with an Amazon Rewards Visa Card to Whole Planet Foundation, up to a maximum of $1,000,000
- 5% Back on Whole Foods Market purchases with an eligible Prime membership; otherwise 3% Back
- 5% Back at Amazon.com with an eligible Prime membership; otherwise 3% Back
- 2% Back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores
- 1% Back on all other purchases
- No cap on rewards earned
- Rewards never expire and are redeemable, as long as their account is open and in good standing, on hundreds of millions of products at Amazon.com
- No foreign transaction fees when traveling abroad or for cross-border shopping
- No annual credit card fee
- Zero fraud liability
- Benefits including travel and purchase protections, as well as 24/7 concierge service, through Visa Signature