How to Get Your Chase Credit Card Number Before It Arrives
Update: No longer works
Chase is one of the credit card issuers that never give you the credit card numbers before your physical card arrives in the mail. That’s frustrating when you have big spending coming up, but you don’t have the card yet and are not able to use it even though you have been approved and the card shows in your Chase account online.
Luckily there’s an easy trick that will get you our full Chase credit card number. You also need to guess your expiration date, but it is not as hard as it sounds.
A family member recently applied for a new Chase Sapphire Preferred card after seeing the offer in the “Selected for You”section of the account online. These are offers that bypass the Chase 5/24 rule and are usually the same as the public offer, or even better in some cases. The person applied and was approved and the card shows in their Chase account online soon after. But there, you only see the last four digits of the card.
They had some spending that they could knock out online (for a medical bill) before the card arrived in the mail. After some googling I came across this article that shows how to get your card number. We tested it and it worked.
How it Works
Here’s the steps:
- Log in and find the Secure Message option in your Chase account
- Send a secure message using the Card that you need the number for (select it from the list showing last 4)
- Enter a message and send (I selected other, and asked if they know when my card will arrive)
- Then go into your Chase app (not website) and look in Secure Message in the sent folder
- Open the message that you just sent, and in there it will show the full account number.
Now the next step is to figure out the expiration date. To do this, you just need to add 4 or 5 years to the approval date, and you have your expiration date. So if you get approved today on 11/2/2019, your expiration date will most likely be 11/2/2023 or 11/2/2024.
This is a super useful trick for using your Chase card before you get it in the mail. But there’s some limitations, as you do not have the CVV number. If you are making a purchase online or by phone and the system requires a CVV number, then you will need to wait to get your card or use another credit card.
Let me know if it works for you.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card is a great travel card that comes with a big welcome offer and many benefits.
- Earn a welcome bonus of 60,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points (worth $750 or more) when you spend $4,000 in 3 months.
- You can also earn:
- 5X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on Lyft rides
- 2X Ultimate Rewards points on travel and dining and 1X on all other purchases
- Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through Chase
- LEARN MORE