Qantas Flight to Nowhere Sells Out in Minutes
Flying is commonly viewed as a method of getting from one destination to another as quickly as possible. But some people also fly just because they love to do so. I am not in that group, but many people in the miles and points hobby are. And for those who miss flying, Qantas recently has a promotion with a flight to nowhere.
Qantas announced plans for a seven-hour scenic flight that will perform a giant loop. Depart from Sydney and fly up the New South Wales coast before crossing the Queensland border for a flyby of the Gold Coast and then up the Queensland coast to the Great Barrier Reef. The aircraft will then track across Australia to do low level flybys of Uluru and Kata Tjuta before heading back to Sydney for a late afternoon flyover of Sydney Harbour and Bondi Beach. The flight will depart on October 10.
The journey will be aboard a Qantas Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft that is usually reserved for intercontinental travel. But international flight out of Australia are mostly banned right now due to COVID-19.
Qantas made 134 tickets available for business class, premium economy and economy. And these weren’t cheap tickets either. Prices varied between US$566 to $2,734. But all tickets were gone within just 10 minutes. The flight will also earn Qantas points and status credits. Business earns 10,000 Qantas Points plus 160 Status Credits, Premium Economy 5,000 Qantas Points plus 80 Status Credits, and Economy 2,400 Qantas Points plus 40 Status Credits.
Besides the points, credits and great views, those who were able to grab a ticket, will also enjoy:
- Pre-flight breakfast in the Sydney Domestic Qantas Business Lounge from 8am before a 10.30am flight departure.
- Exclusive opportunity to participate in a live auction of original and limited Qantas 747 memorabilia as well as 787 Flight Simulator sessions. Funds from the live auction will be donated to the Royal Institute of Deaf and Blind Children.
- Lunch menu designed by Neil Perry.
- Surprise celebrity host MC and entertainment.
- Commemorative flight certificate.
- Qantas Business pajamas and an amenity kit.
- Gift bag.