Alaska Airlines Promotion, Buy Miles with 60% Bonus
Alaska Airlines has a new promotion for those looking to buy discounted miles. This is one of the best promotions they have offered, and you can get a bonus of up to 60% on the miles you purchase. Offers might vary from one account to the other. So you need to log in with your Alaska Airlines credentials to see the offer that is in your account.
Buy miles and land up to 60% bonus miles, now through October 31, 2020:
- Buy 3,000-39,000 miles, get a 50% bonus
- Buy 40,000-100,000 miles, get a 60% bonus
Miles are purchased from Points.com for a cost of $27.50 per 1,000 miles, plus a 7.5% Federal Excise Tax. So if you go for the maximum bonus, it will cost you 1.72¢ per mile. That’s still not cheap, but it can be a good deal with the right redemption in mind.
- Transactions must be completed by 11:59 PM PST October 31, 2020 to be eligible for bonus miles.
- Miles are purchased from Points.com Inc. for a cost of $27.50 per 1,000 miles, plus GST/HST for Canadian residents.
- Miles are non-refundable and do not count toward MVP and MVP/Gold status.
- You may purchase and gift Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles in increments of 1,000 miles to a maximum of 60,000 miles per transaction.
- Your Mileage Plan account may be credited up to a maximum total of 150,000 miles acquired through Points.com in a calendar year, whether purchased by you or gifted to you. MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K.
- Mileage Plan member accounts have no annual limit on the number of miles which may be purchased or gifted through Points.com.
Should You Buy Alaska Miles?
I’m not a fan of buying miles and points. You will never be able to buy miles at a price that’s better than the average valuation. If you need a big chunk of points, then signup bonuses are probably the best route, or you can check out ways to earn miles without credit cards. But buying miles could make sense in some instances. In this case you need to purchase at least 40K miles to get the best bonus.
Alaska miles are valued at about 1.7 cents each in my opinion. With this promotion you’re buying them at almost the same price. So it is not a great deal for everyone, but it is one of the best offer we have seen for purchasing Alaska miles and it can definitely yield huge savings with the right redemptions, especially for premium international flights.
Also keep in mind that Alaska Airlines will join the oneworld alliance in 2021. That should open up more opportunities but we do not know yet what kind of value you will be getting.
I would suggest looking at credit cards first, if you need Alaska miles. If you do plan to buy Alaska miles with this promotion, try going through a portal as well to earn some cashback and use a card that earn at least 2%.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. If you take action (i.e. subscribe, make a purchase) after clicking a link, I may earn some beer 🍺money, which I promise to drink responsibly. When applicable, you should always go through shopping portals to earn cashback. But when that's not an option, your support for the site is always greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!