Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard, Earn 70K Miles with One Purchase
Barclays is offering once again one of the best bonuses on the AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard. You can get 70,000 miles when you apply and are approved for a new card. Let’s see how you can earn this bonus, and what benefits this card provide.
- Earn 70,000 AAdvantage bonus miles after making your first purchase in the first 90 days and paying the $99 annual fee.
- 0% introductory APR for the first 15 billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening. After that (and for balance transfers that do not post within 45 days of account opening), a variable APR will apply.
- $99 annual fee.
Earning on this card in not great. You get one AA mile per dollar on all purchases and 2 AA miles per dollar on eligible American Airlines purchases.
You also have the ability to earn $3,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) when you spend $25,000 each calendar year. If you spend $5,000 more you also get $100 American Airlines Flight Discount (the “Flight Discount”) after you spend $30,000 or more during your card membership year.
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1X miles for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Group 1 boarding
- First checked bag free for the primary cardmember and up to four companions on eligible bags when traveling on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines
- No foreign transaction fees when you make purchases outside the U.S.
- Receive 25% inflight savings as statement credits on food and beverages when you use your card on American Airlines operated flights.
- Get up to $25 back as statement credits on inflight Wi-Fi purchases every anniversary year on American Airlines operated flights.
- Each anniversary year, earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date.
Applying for the Card
Barclay will usually only approve you for a card every 6 months. If you have a Barclay card, put some spend on it first before applying again. They don’t like dormant cardholders. There’s no real limit on the number of cards you can have with Barclays.
They also have a 6/24 rule. That means that they might not approve you if you’ve had more than 6 new cards in the last 24 months. I say might, because we’re not sure if it still applies, and even before it was never really a hard rule.
Now they also added the following language:
In addition, you may not be eligible for this offer if, at any time during our relationship with you, we have cause, as determined by us in our sole discretion, to suspect that the account is being obtained or will be used for abusive or gaming activity (such as, but not limited to, obtaining or using the account to maximize rewards earned in a manner that is not consistent with typical consumer activity and/or multiple credit card account applications/openings).
Barclays Aviator Red 70K Bonus: Guru’s Wrap-Up
This offer gives you 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage miles with just one purchase. The annual fee is not waived. This is the best miles bonus I have seen for Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard, with the previous best being a 60K bonus with waived annual fee.