White Castle Giving Away Free Cheese Sliders on May 15th
White Castle is offering a complimentary Cheese Slider on National Slider Day, May 15. All they have to do is visit their favorite White Castle and present a digital coupon that can be found on the company’s social media channels. No purchase is necessary to receive the free Cheese Slider.
White Castle introduced National Slider Day in May 2015 to honor the iconic, steamed-grilled-on-a-bed-of-onions hamburger. Though the Original Slider is highly regarded for its hot and juicy taste, the 100% beef patty is equally as famous for its 2-by-2-inch size, making it so easy to eat it was dubbed the slider.
Here are a few more fun facts about White Castle sliders:
- The founder of White Castle invented the slider in 1921 by smashing a meatball on a griddle with a spatula.
- In 1954, White Castle introduced square sliders to maximize griddle space.
- That same year, White Castle added five holes to the slider patty to increase cooking speed and help the patty absorb the flavor of the grilled onions.
- In 1962, White Castle introduced Cheese Sliders as a standard menu item, more than 40 years after the first slider was served.
- In 2014, Time magazine declared The Original Slider to be “the most influential burger of all time.”