Open a Wells Fargo checking account before May 4, 2016 and you can receive a bonus of $100. All you need to do is:
- fund your new Wells Fargo checking account with at least $50 and
- make 10 purchases and/or payments with your new Wells Fargo Debit Card within the next 60 days
Unlike the previous offer, this one is not nationwide and it’s limited to only a few cities. You need to open the account in branch, only at participating Wells Fargo banking locations in the following areas:
- Colorado Springs, CO;
- Fargo-Valley City, ND;
- Fresno-Visalia, CA;
- Greensboro and Greenville, NC;
- Greenville, SC;
- Harrisburg, PA;
- Idaho Falls, ID;
- Jacksonville, FL;
- Norfolk, VA;
- Sacramento, CA;
- Spokane, WA.
You need to go to the offer page and request a promo code.
All consumer checking accounts except Teen Checking are eligible for the $100 bonus. You do not qualify for the bonus if you have received any cash or cash-equivalent bonus through Wells Fargo consumer deposits in the past 12 months.
This is a decent offer, but Wells Fargo has had better deals in the past, up to $250 even, but those are a bit rare.
The good thing about having a Wells Fargo checking account, is that you can then apply for Wells Fargo credit cards. Even then, they’re a bit stingy with their approvals. I was declined more than a year ago for the Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa card. So I’ll give it another try now so I can get this $100 bonus plus 5% cash back for 6 months.
How to avoid fees
The best option is the Everyday Checking account which comes with a $10 monthly fee, or $5 when the primary owner is 17-24 years old. However the fee can be avoided with one of these options:
- 10 debit card purchases and/or payments each statement cycle OR
- $500 in qualifying direct deposits each statement cycle OR
- Maintain a minimum daily balance of $1,500 OR
- Linked to a Wells Fargo Campus ATM or Campus Debit Card
- Request Code Here (Open in branch)
- Account Type: Everyday Checking
- Availability: Select Cities (see list above)
- Expiration Date: 5/4/2016
- Type of Inquiry: Soft pull
- Direct Deposit Requirement: No
- Other Requirements: Fund with min. of $50 & make 10 debit purchases within 60 days
- Credit Card Funding: Up to $50
- Monthly Fee: $10 but can be waived
- Closing Account Fee: None
HT: maximizing money