FDA Sends Other Warnings About Toxic Hand Sanitizers
During the coronavirus outbreak, the CDC has suggested to wash hands frequently of use hand sanitizers when that is not possible. So that has been a hot item recently, and was hard to find any in stock at all earlier in the outbreak. Things have gotten better recently. However, before purchasing hand sanitizers, make sure you read the labels or at least try to avoid some specific brands.
Last month the FDA published a list of products that it said contain methanol (wood alcohol), a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested. Now the FDA has added 5 more products to the list.
The FDA said Thursday that methanol, or wood alcohol, “is not an acceptable active ingredient for hand sanitizers and must not be used due to its toxic effects.” The agency said it is aware of cases of adults and children who have ingested hand sanitizer made with methanol, which has led to blindness, hospitalizations or fatalities.
Do Not Use These Products
The FDA is advising consumers to avoid products from the brands listed below, as well as these specific products with NDC numbers. They have all tested positive for methanol.
- Grupo Insoma’s Hand Sanitizer Gel Unscented 70% Alcohol (with NDC numbers 75744-0200-3; 75744-0200-4; 75744-0201-5; 75744-0202-1; 75744-0250-1; 75744-0250-2; 75744-0500-1; 75744-1000-1; 75744-1000-3; 75744-1001-1)
- Transliquid Technologies’ Mystic Shield Protection hand sanitizer (with NDC numbers 75477-435-02; 75477-435-10; 75477-435-12; 75477-435-25; 75477-435-50; 75477-534-10)
- Soluciones Cosmeticas SA de CV’s Bersih Hand Sanitizer Gel Fragrance Free (with NDC numbers 75165-003-02; 75165-004-01; 75165-005-01; 75165-006-01; 75165-008-01; 75165-250-01; 75165-600-01)
- Soluciones Cosmeticas SA de CV’s Antiseptic Alcohol 70% Topical Solution hand sanitizer (no NDC numbers listed)
- Tropicosmeticos SA de CV’s Britz Hand Sanitizer Ethyl Alcohol 70% (with NDC numbers 76676-402-01; 77676-402-02; 77676-402-03; 77676-402-04; 77676-402-05; 77676-402-06; 77676-402-07; 77676-402-08; 77676-402-09; 77676-402-10; 77676-402-11; 77676-402-12; 77676-402-13; 77676-402-14; 77676-402-16; 77676-402-17; 77676-402-18; 77676-402-19; 77676-402-20)