Sonic Data Breach Settlement
Sonic has been hit with a lawsuit over its recent data breach that affected credit and debit card transactions at many of its locations. The lawsuit claims that Sonic did not have adequate safeguards in place and should be held responsible for the Data Breach and asserts claims such as: breach of implied contract, negligence, negligence per se, unjust enrichment, and violations of numerous state consumer-protection and data breach statutes. Sonic denies these claims in their entirety and asserts that Sonic did have adequate safeguards in place and did nothing wrong. The Settlement is not an admission that Sonic did anything wrong, but rather reflects a compromise to end the lawsuit.
You are included in the Settlement Class if you reside in the United States and you made a purchase using a credit or debit card at one of the 325 impacted Sonic Drive-In locations from April 7, 2017 through October 28, 2017. You can see the full list of impacted locations here.
Deadline to file a claim is on April 19, 2019.
How Much Do I Get?
Settlement Class Members are divides into two categories.
- Category 1 – Receive a one-time payment of approximately $10 if you made a purchase using a credit or debit card at one of the 325 impacted Sonic Drive-In locations. Settlement Class Members who file a claim under Category 1 are eligible for the approximately $10 payment even if they did not experience any fraudulent or unauthorized charges subsequent to their purchase at one of the 325 impacted Drive-In locations.
- Category 2 – Receive a one-time payment of $40 only if you satisfy these conditions:
- made a purchase using a credit or debit card at one of the 325 impacted Sonic Drive-In locations during the Relevant Time Period (April 7, 2017 through October 28, 2017); and
- experienced fraudulent or unauthorized charges on the credit or debit card used at the impacted Sonic Drive-In location anytime thereafter through February 28, 2018.
Do Not Submit False Claims
These settlements enable you to get something back if you were wronged by merchants, manufacturers or other entities. They sometimes reach out to you to let you know that you’re part of a settlement, but that’s not always the case. Check to see if you’re eligible.
Please do not submit fraudulent claims for these settlement rebates. It takes money away from those who deserve a reimbursement, and furthermore it is illegal. You’re usually required to acknowledge something along these lines:
I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that all of the information provided on this Claim Form is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.
- File claim here
- Rebate: $10 or $40
- Proof of Purchase Required: No
- Settlement Pool: Unknown
- Filing Deadline:April 19, 2019
- Read Settlement Details Here