Today in Coffee Day, National Coffee Day or International Coffee Day. It’s a day to celebrate coffee and surely there will be some free coffee somewhere. In case you’re wondering about the ancient origins of this holiday, it started in 2014 after a decision was taken by the International Coffee Organization to launch the first official International Coffee Day in Milan.
Well let’s get to the free stuff. Starbucks, Wawa, Dunkin’ Donuts, Krispy Kreme and other coffee chains are marking the holiday by giving away complimentary or discounted cups of joe.
- Wawa – Stop at any of Wawa’s more than 700 locations on Thursday and walk away with a free coffee of any size. The convenience store chain says it expects to hand out more than two million free cups of coffee from all of its stores in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Florida throughout the day.
- Dunkin’ Donuts – Get a medium-sized cup of coffee to 66 cents for National Coffee Day. The special price is a nod to the donut and coffee chain’s “66-year history of keeping people running with great coffee each and every day.
- Krispy Kreme – Customers who visit one of the chain’s participating locations on Thursday will receive a free 12-ounce cup of coffee and a free glazed doughnut.
- Pilot Flying J – Free small cup of coffee or small tea or cappuccino with this coupon.
- Starbucks – No discount, but Starbucks will donate a coffee tree for every cup of brewed Mexico Chiapas cup of coffee in the U.S. or Mexico.
- McDonald’s – No discount, but McDonald’s will donate all McCafé coffee proceeds to Covenant House (a group that helps homeless young people) on National Coffee Day
- Birch Coffee (NYC) – All eight New York outposts of this chain, which roasts its own beans in Long Island City, will be offering free drip coffee between 7am and 10am.
- Taraclucci e Vino (NYC) – Pick up a complimentary Lavazza coffee at six locations in New York from 9am to 10am.