If you drive a lot and especially in relatively remote areas, then Emergency Roadside Assistance is a service you have or have looked into. Some people pay for such services, either from an auto club or through their car insurance. Geico can offer it for $15 a year. But did you know that you can get roadside assistance from your credit card as well?
An announcement from Discover that they would discontinue this service and a comment from a reader gave me the idea to look more into it and try to put together a few options for roadside assistance through credit cards. Most card issuers have roadside services but it usually comes with a price. The Premium Roadside Assistance from American Express seems to be the best free option out there and it is available on a few American Express cards for up to four times a year.
Premium Roadside Assistance from American Express
- Free on Eligible Amex Cards
- Premium Roadside Assistance is only available to U.S. Card Members traveling in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- The Card Member must be present with an eligible vehicle to use Premium Roadside Assistance.
- American Express will pay for eligible services up to four times a year.
- You will be charged for the cost of towing in excess of ten miles and for any additional services not eligible for coverage by American Express.
- Please read below for vehicle exclusions and other important restrictions.
- 24/7 Emergency Service
What Does/Doesn’t It Cover
Towing up to 10 miles, winching, jump starts, flat tire change when Card Member has a workable spare, lockout service when key is in vehicle and delivery of up to 2 gallons of fuel. Card Member will be charged for the costs of towing in excess of 10 miles and any other additional services. Coverage is available in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. This product does not cover some vehicles, e.g. rental vehicles, motorcycles, taxicabs, unlicensed vehicles, tractors and trucks over 10,000 lbs gross vehicle weight.
Amex Cards with Free Premium Roadside Assistance
- Gold Card for Ameriprise Financial
- Premier Rewards Gold Card
- Platinum Card From American Express
- Platinum Card for Ameriprise Financial
- Platinum Card for Mercedez-Benz
- Platinum Card for Morgan Stanley
- Platinum Card for Goldman Sachs
- Delta Reserve Credit Card
- Plum Card
- Business Gold Rewards Card
- Business Platinum Card
- Delta Reserve for Business
- Corporate Gold Card
- Corporate Platinum Card
Other Amex cards get Roadside Assistance Hotline which just helps you getting roadside services but you’ll have to pay for the services yourself.
Roadside Services from Other Cards
Discover has the service for $69.95 per call, but the option is ending in August. Visa offers it for $10 cheaper, $59.95 per service call. Other cards have variations with different prices, but it seems that none could beat the Premium Roadside Assistance from American Express.
|AAA Plus||$92 Annual Fee (4 calls per year)|
|State Farm Emergency Road Service||$5 Annual Fee; will cover the first hour of labor cost, nothing else|
|GEICO Emergency Road Service||About $14 Annual Fee (5 calls per year)|
|Allstate Emergency Roadside Assistance||No Annual Fee; $99 per tow and $84 per other service for each incident|
Maybe there’s other options out there that I missed, but you can always let me know in the comments and I’ll update the post.