Instant $13 Discount on Mastercard Gift Cards at Office Depot & OfficeMax
Office Depot and OffixeMax have a new gift cards deal starting today. The promotion is advertised in stores only. You can get an instant discount of $13 when you purchase $300 or more in MasterCard gift cards. You should avoid leaving your house if possible, so please be safe if you decide to venture outside.
These offers are a good opportunity to earn Ultimate Rewards points if you have any of their locations nearby. MasterCard gift cards have an activation fee, but during these promotions, you’re actually making a small profit on top of the discount. There’s a limit of 1 discounted offer per transaction, but in most locations you should be able to do multiple transactions.
- Offer valid 3/29 – 4/4/20
- Limit 1 discounted offer per transaction.
- Discount applied at register.
- Offer valid in-store only on Mastercard® Gift Cards.
- Product not available in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
- Mastercard® Gift Card is issued by U.S. Bank National Association, pursuant to a license from Mastercard® International.
Maximizing The Offer
Office Depot and OfficeMax sell $200 MasterCard gift cards that have an activation fee of $6.95. To get the $13 instant discount, you need to spend at least $300. To maximize credit card rewards, it’s best to purchase two $200 MasterCard gift cards, which will cost you $413.90. Take off $13 at the register and you’re paying just $$400.90, so losing 90 cents. But let’s also look at the possible rewards and other deals you can stack.
If you have a Chase Ink Plus or Chase Ink Cash card, you would earn 2,005 Ultimate Rewards points. You can also use an Amex SimplyCash Plus Business Card which earns 5% cashback at office supply stores as well. That would give you $20.05 in cashback. However Chase Ink Plus/Cash would be my choices as UR points are more valuable than cash and Amex has been cracking down on gift card purchases.
How To Liquidate
Mastercard Gift Cards are not as easy to use as Visa. You can still use them at WalMart to purchase money orders, but you need to quickly hit cancel on the keypad after swiping to switch to debit and it doesn’t always work. You can also use them for bill pay at Walmart and Kmart. Also check out smaller local stores near you that sell WU money orders. Plastiq is another option, if you have any bills to pay. And if everything else fails, you can always use them for everyday spend everywhere Mastercard is accepted.
This is the best deal we see from Office Depot and OfficeMax. The $13 discount almost wipes out the activation fee on two gift cards. Some people prefer Visa gift cards, as they’re often easier to liquidate. But it could be worth it if you have a location nearby. It’s a rare opportunity to earn more Ultimate Rewards as many 5X avenues have been drying up. Just make sure that the ad is running at your location.
Please be safe! The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. Check out the CDC website for more information. During this coronavirus pandemic try your best to:
- Stay home if you can and avoid gatherings of more than ten people. This is extremely important for older adults and people who have serious chronic medical conditions like heart disease, diabetes and lung disease etc.
- Practice social distancing by keeping a distance of about six feet from others if you must go out in public.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after being in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, desks, computers, phones, keyboards, sinks, toilets, faucets and countertops.