This Chipotle settlement comes after a lawsuit that claims the “non-GMO” advertising located in Chipotle restaurants was misleading and deceptive. Consumers reasonably understood this to mean that Chipotle did not serve food from animals that have been raised on GMOs or genetically engineered feed, and did not serve beverages containing GMOs.
The lawsuit says that Chipotle served meat and dairy products (such as chicken, steak, barbacoa, carnitas, cheese, and sour cream) from poultry and livestock raised on GMO feed, and served beverages (such as soft drinks) containing GMOs, but did not disclose this information to consumers. The lawsuit claims that Chipotle violated, among others, the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act, California’s False Advertising Law, California’s Unfair Competition Law, the Maryland Consumer Protection Act, New York’s Consumer Protection Statute, and New York’s False Advertising Law.
The Chipotle settlement class includes:
- All persons in the United States who purchased Chipotle’s Food Products in its restaurants between April 27, 2015 to June 30, 2016, inclusive.
Chipotle has agreed to pay $6,500,000. The Fund will be used to pay Settlement Awards to Settlement Class Members who send in a valid Claim Form, after attorneys’ fees, costs and other expenses have been deducted. Class Counsel will ask the Court to approve an award of up to 30% of the Fund to them for attorneys’ fees plus costs, and $5,000 to each of the Class Representatives. Uncashed amounts will be distributed to charity.
Your share of the Fund will depend on the number of valid Claim Forms that Settlement Class Members send in.
- Limit of five valid Claims per Settlement Class Member without proof of purchase
- Limit of 10 valid Claims per Settlement Class Member with proof of purchase.
- Only 15 valid Claims will be honored per Settlement Class Household.
- Settlement Awards capped at $2.00 each and subject to pro rata decrease.
You may also submit a Claim Form online by clicking here, no later than May 30, 2020.
- File claim here
- Rebate: Up to $10 with no proof. Up to $20 with proof. Limit $30 per household.
- Proof of Purchase Required: No
- Settlement Pool: $6,500,000
- Filing Deadline: 5/302020
- Read Settlement Details Here