American Express is getting really strict about enforcing its rules. They are making it more and more difficult to maximize the benefits of the Amex Platinum card. Plus there’s all the issues with self referrals that we have seen recently. Here’s a quick recap of what I have covered this year:
- People That Have Used Amex Self Referrals Can No Longer Generate Referral Links?
- American Express, More Clawbacks for Self Referral Bonuses
- Saks Fifth Avenue Gift Cards No Longer Work for Amex Platinum Credits?
- American Express Clawing Back Self Referral Bonuses
- Amex Airline Fee Credits Not Working on Some Gift Card Purchases
Now the latest comes from Miles per Day. Earlier in the year there was a “trick” where you could place an online order for pickup to trigger the Saks credit. If you didn’t make it to the store to get your items, you would get credited the purchase and the Saks credits from the Amex Platinum cards would not be taken back. But a full eight months later, he writes, the credit were clawed back, and even with the card already closed.
While American Express clearly shouldn’t have issued Saks credits in these cases, the fact that they are now clawing them back, the same time as all the other clawbacks are happening, means that they are really looking into those who might have gamed the benefits somehow. We might see previous credits for Saks gift cards clawed back as well.
I would suggest sticking to the rules with American Express. They are obviously looking to enforce all rules and fine print. Or if you do go for these tricks that might trigger credits, be aware that they could be clawed back at a later time. We saw this with the Staples Amex Offer also.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card is a great travel card that comes with a big welcome offer and many benefits.
- Earn a welcome bonus of 60,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points (worth $750 or more) when you spend $4,000 in 3 months.
- You can also earn:
- 5X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on Lyft rides
- 2X Ultimate Rewards points on travel and dining and 1X on all other purchases
- Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through Chase
- LEARN MORE