Avios are a valuable currency but on of the drawbacks when redeeming on British Airways are the high surcharges that kill most deals. But now, if you have the British Airways Visa Signature Card, those fees could get a bit more affordable. On top of that there’s also a new bonus category.
Rebate on Carrier Surcharges
New and existing British Airways Visa Signature Card holders will receive up to $600 in statement credits each year to pay for surcharges on award flights. Here’s how it works:
- $200 rebate for First or Business class flight with British Airways
- $100 rebate for Economy or Premium Economy class flight with British Airways
The total statement credits are limited to three awards per calendar year.
Earn 2x on Hotel Purchases
British Airways Visa Signature Card holders holders will now also earn 2 Avios per dollar on hotel purchases booked directly through the hotel.
The card also offers the following perks and benefits:
- 3X Avios on direct British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia and LEVEL purchases
- 1X Avios on everything else.
- Travel Together Companion Ticket after $30K in annual spend. (More info on that benefit here.)
- 10% discount on paid British Airways flights originating in the US
The new surcharge rebate benefit makes this card much more valuable. It really depends on how this rebate is implemented though. Some premium cabin awards will have surcharges over $1,000, so a $200 rebate will not really make a dent. But when fees are around $200 to $300, this new benefit definitely comes in handy. The card currently has a 100K bonus, but falls under the Chase 5/25 rule so not many people will be able to get approved.