United Airlines has a promotion for those looking to buy miles. You can get a bonus of up to 100%.
Buy miles and land up to 100% bonus miles, now through June 13, 2019.
- Buy 5,000-14,000 miles, get a 40% bonus
- Buy 15,000-39,000 miles, get a 60% bonus
- Buy 40,000+ miles, get a 100% bonus
Miles are purchased from Points.com at a regular price of $35.00 USD per 1,000 miles, plus a 7.5% Federal Excise Tax. So if you go for the maximum bonus, it will cost you about 1.88 cents per MileagePlus mile.
- Transactions must be completed by 11:59 PM PST June 13, 2019 to be eligible for bonus miles.
- Maximum total of 175,000 miles acquired through Points.com in a calendar year
- It can take up to 48 hours for purchased miles to post to your account.
Should You Buy United MileagePlus Miles?
I’m not a fan of buying miles and points. You will never be able to buy miles at a price that’s better than the average valuation. If you need a big chunk of points, then signup bonuses are probably the best route, or you can check out ways to earn miles without credit cards. But buying miles could make sense in some instances. In this case you need to purchase at least 40K miles to get the best bonus.
United miles are valued at about 1.3 cents each in my opinion. With this promotion you’re buying them for 1.88 cents each. So it’s definitely not worth buying speculatively. With their new dynamic pricing, it’s even more difficult to get huge value our of MileagePlus points.
I would suggest looking at credit cards first, if you need United miles. If you do plan to buy miles with this promotion, try going through a portal as well to earn some cashback and use a card that earn at least 2%. A 100% bonus is as good as it gets for United miles, but that doesn’t mean that you should rush and buy them.