Delta Air Lines introduced a new program this week that makes it easier for some for passengers to reclaim their lost frequent-flyer status. The new loyalty benefit is called dubbed “Reclaim My Status,”. Those who have earned Delta Medallion status can restore their previous status if a major life event such as a career change or a medical issue has reduced their opportunities to fly with the airline.
What Events Qualify for Delta’s “Reclaim My Status” Program?
According to Delta, whether a passenger is eligible for the benefit will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Major life events covered by the Reclaim My Status program include
- Becoming a parent
- Recovering from illness
- Serious injury
- Caring for a family member
- Changing careers
- Going back to school
- and more
Each customer must apply for the benefit when they’re ready to resume their frequent-flyer-level travel schedule.
How it Works
When you’re ready to start traveling again, submit your request to get your Medallion Status back. Must meet both of the following basic requirements to be considered:
- Had Medallion Status during the previous Medallion year, but either lost it completely or moved to a lower Tier of Status
- Have documentation to verify a life event occurred which reduced your ability to travel (all life events will be considered)
Make sure that you’re ready to start traveling again before you submit your request. Your three-month complimentary status period will begin as soon as you receive the email stating your request has been approved. Requests will be reviewed within five business days. But it could last up to two weeks.
If your request is approved, you will receive an email letting you know you have been enrolled in Reclaim My Status. So you will once again have Diamond, Platinum, Gold or Silver Medallion Status based on the Medallion Status you enjoyed before. This complimentary Status will last for three months beginning on the date your request is approved.
To extend your Status beyond the complimentary three months, meet the minimum travel and spend thresholds for your Status Tier during the three-month period. Once you meet the thresholds, keep your Status for this Medallion year plus the following Medallion year (until January 31, 2021).
- Earn the required amount of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) and for U.S.-based Members only, earn the required amount of Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) or qualify for the MQD Waiver
- Enroll in Reclaim My Status on or before December 31, 2019. If you meet the thresholds, your Medallion Status will be extended through January 31, 2021
- Enroll in Reclaim My Status between January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020. If you meet the thresholds, your Medallion Status will be extended through January 31, 2022