Amalgamated Bank of Chicago issues the ABOC Platinum Rewards Credit Card. It’s a card similar to Discover it and Chase Freedom as it offers the option to earn 5% on rotating quarterly categories with no annual fee. It also comes with a $150 signup bonus.
Get a $150 Statement Credit after making purchases totaling $1,200 within the first 90 days from account opening.
- Earn 5x rewards on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter in popular categories such as dining, groceries, travel, and automotive.
- January-March: Dining, Grocery, and Pharmacy
- April-June: Home Improvement (including wholesale clubs)
- July-September: Travel
- October-December: Automotive
- Earn 1x rewards on all other purchases
- No upper limit on the points you can accumulate, and since points never expire, you can save up for a big award
- Enjoy 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months. You must transfer your balance within 90 days of your account open date for the promotional APR to apply.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
Value of Rewards
Your rewards include travel, cash (in the form of a statement credit), gift cards, and merchandise. Redemption values for these reward options may vary, but they’re usually between 0.75¢ and 1¢ each.
- 1¢pp through Travel Portal
- 0.75-1¢pp on Gift Cards
- 0.75¢pp for Statement Credit
No annual Fee (see Pricing & Rewards Information)
Applying for the Card
This offer is only valid for new accounts.
I’m not very familiar with the Amalgamated Bank of Chicago, so I’m not sure how strict they are when it comes to approvals. But I would think that it shouldn’t be that difficult. The card is similar to other cards with 5% rotating categories, but the points are worth 1 cent or less each. The signup bonus of $150 is also similar to those cards. It could be a decent option to have for 5% bonused spending. Let me know if you have the card or have dealt with this bank in the past.