Update: The card bow has a signup bonus.
- Get 50,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 in qualifying purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Apply here.
The new revamped Amex Business Gold Card is here. It comes with an annual fee of $295 and it blends elements of both charge cards and credit cards. The card has good earning rates on two categories that you choose, but lacks a signup bonus which will be a big turn off for most people.
The Amex Business Gold card has no Membership Rewards signup bonus. Instead, it will get you the following:
- Get up to 1 year free of G Suite Basic for 3 users and up to 1 year free of ZipRecruiter Standard in the form of statement credits for purchases on the Card in your first 12 months of Card membership. That’s a combined value of up to $3,188 when you sign up for both subscriptions.
Cardholders will earn 4X points from two of the six following categories, for the first $150,000 in spending, based on where they spent the most money during each billing cycle:
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- U.S. purchases at restaurants
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media (online, TV, radio)
- U.S. purchases at gas stations
- U.S. purchases made directly from select technology providers of computer hardware, software and cloud solutions
- U.S. purchases for shipping
Business owners won’t need to do anything to set the rewards categories that will pay out the 4X points. Instead, American Express will make these determinations.
For all other spending, the card will reward 1X points.
- Get 25% points back after you use Pay With Points for all or part of a flight booked with American Express Travel if the flight is either on your selected qualifying airline or First or Business class, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.
- Pay Over Time feature on the Card gives you the option to carry a balance with interest on purchases of $100 or more.
Amex Business Gold Card comes with a $295 Annual Fee that is not waived the first year.
Applying for the CardApplication Page
It should become available soon for self referrals.
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
The card sounded promising when it was first rumored that it would be revamped. And it does have good earning rates of 4X on two categories where you spend most. Eligible categories include gas stations, restaurants, airfare, shipping etc. But you probably do not need this Amex Business Gold Card review to tell you that without a real signup bonus, it’s not worth it. The personal version is a much better choice, or most other Amex cards for that matter. Hopefully we see a Membership Rewards signup bonus in the future, to make this card worthwhile.