As rumored, the American Express Gold card is out today. Most of the features were already revealed, but there’s one surprise. The fee is up to $250 from $195, and is not waived the first year. The welcome bonus for the Amex Gold Card is 50,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first 3 months. You also get 20% at restaurants for the first three months.
Receive 20% back as a statement credit at U.S. Restaurants with the Gold Card within the first 3 months of your Card Membership, up to $100 back. Offer available to new Card Members who apply by 1/9/2019.
Update: Plus, earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first 3 months.
- 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. Restaurants
- 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. Supermarkets (on up to $25,000 in purchases annually)
- A new $120 dining credit which gives enrolled Card Members up to $10 per month in statement credits when they use their Card at eligible dining partners including participating Shake Shack locations, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and Grubhub/Seamless
- 3X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines and amextravel.com
- $100 airline fee credit: up to $100 in statement credits per year for incidental expenses like baggage fees at one selected airline
- The Hotel Collection: Gold Card Members get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon check-in, when available, when they book a stay of at least two consecutive nights at hotels in the collection
- Personalized Travel Service: provides access to a team of Travel Professionals who can help with travel bookings and vacation packages across air, hotels, transportation, cruise and tour
The new Gold Card now has an annual fee of $250. That’s up from the Premier Reward Gold Card’s previous fee of $195. The fee is not waived the first year.
The new fee will go into effect for current Premier Rewards Gold Card Members beginning April 1, 2019 on their account renewal date.
For those who care about the card design and material, there’s some good news. American Express is also elevating the look and feel of the former Premier Golf Rewards card. The new Gold Card has a new sleek metal design. New Gold Card and existing Premier Rewards Gold Card Members will also have the opportunity to request a limited edition rose gold version of the Card through January 9, 2019.
Applying for the Card
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
This is considered the same product as the old card. So if you have had the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card in the past you will not be eligible to get the welcome bonus on the new Amex Gold Card. If you’re not sure if you’ve had that card in the past, here’s how to check.
The card is getting a few upgrades in benefits and design. But it will also cost $55 more per year. Cardmembers will earn 4X at restaurants, which is probably the best rate out there if you value Membership Rewards. 4X at supermarkets is also a very good rate, only topped by a couple of cards. There’s also a new $120 dining credit which gives enrolled Card Members up to $10 per month in statement credits. The card retains 3X on airfare booked directly with airlines and the $100 annual airline fee credit. The new benefits are already available for current cardmembers.
The current 2X Membership Rewards points on spend at U.S. Gas Stations earn will be no longer be offered on the Gold Card. Current Premier Rewards Gold Card Members will continue to receive this benefit until October 4, 2019, when this benefit will be discontinued.
The welcome up bonus bonus was only 25,000 Membership rewards at first but was soon increased the same day to 50,000. Plus you get 20% at restaurants, up to $100.