Update: 10/4/2018: The card is now available. Fee is $250 instead of $195 and there’s a few more other new details.
Update 10/3/2018: American Express seems to confirm all info we know so far. There’s one detail that wasn’t previously mentioned. The Limited Edition Rose Gold version will only be available until 1/9/2019.
A few days ago Amex released new benefits for the Premier Rewards Gold credit card. There’s a $120 dining credit and 4X earning on restaurants and supermarkets. But the update was probably released early by mistake. The Amex PRG card will indeed have those new benefits, but they will come once the card is relaunched with a new name and design, probably on October 4th.
Changes to Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card
Here’s the change that are expected to come to the Amex Premier Rewards Gold credit card:
- Name will be changed to ‘American Express Gold Card’
- $120 Dining Credit: You get $10 monthly dining credit available at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Shake & Shack. Must enroll first and pay using Premier Rewards Gold card.
- 4X points at US restaurant
- 4X points at US supermarket, up to $25k purchase per calendar year.
- No more 2X points at US gas stations
- Earn 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines.
- Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $100 per calendar year in statement credits for incidental fees
- No foreign transaction fees
The signup bonus is expected to be a bit better than the current public offer, but far from the best we have seen on this card.
- Earn 25,000 points after $2,000 in spend plus 20% back as a statement credit on purchases at U.S. Restaurants up to $100 back (HT: DoC)
Annual fee is expected to remain $195. It should probably still be waived for the first year, but there’s no info on that yet.
The card will be available in two different colors, Gold & Rose Gold. Both versions will be metal.
The new benefits makes this card a no-brainer for most people. It comes with a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $195 for now. We’re not sure if that will be the same once the card is upgraded. Just the $100 Airline Credit and $120 Dining Credit already offset the annual fee completely. But you also get one of the best earning rates of 4X points at restaurants and supermarkets. Currently the highest offer is through incognito with a bonus of 50,000 Membership Rewards points when spending $2,000 within three months. We’re not sure if that same offer will be available when the card is relaunched. The public bonus will be 25,000 points plus 20% back at restaurants up to $100.