August 1st is here and with that, the new bonuses for SPG cards. From now on they will earn Marriott Rewards, which are worth just 1/3 of the now defunct SPG Starpoints. The Amex SPG Business Credit Card now comes with a 100K bonus and earn 2X everywhere.
Earn 100,000 Bonus Points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 10/31/2018.
Earning and Redeeming Points
You can earn the following rates:
- 6x Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at over 6,500 participating SPG and Marriott Rewards hotels
- 4x Points at U.S. restaurants, on gasoline at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers & on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x Points on all other eligible purchases
Noe the redeeming part. These points which are not really labeled on the offer, are Marriott Rewards. These are worth 1/3 of the previous SPG Starpoints. Here’s the award chart for Marriott stays:
You can also find prices for each specific property here. Category 8 and peak/off-peak pricing will go into effect in 2019.
With the new program you will continue to get a 25% bonus when you convert Marriott points to airline miles. That was one perk that made SPG points more valuable. Marriott points will convert into airline miles at a 3:1 ratio (same as SPG that was 1:1), with a 5,000 mile bonus for every 60,000 Marriott points transferred. So when you convert 60,000 Marriott points you will get 25,000 airline miles (instead of 20,000).
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 points) at a participating hotel.
- Receive complimentary Silver Elite status with your Card.
- Plus, earn Gold Elite status after spending $30,000 or more in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year. (Note: effective January 1, 2019, the spend threshold will increase to $35,000)
- Coming in 2019: Each calendar year you can receive credit for 15 nights towards the next level of Elite status. Limit one 15 Elite Night Credit per Marriott Loyalty Program member.
- Complimentary in-room, premium Internet access while staying at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels‡, and free, unlimited Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 hotspots worldwide with the Boingo American Express Preferred Plan. Boingo enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
The new Amex SPG Business Credit Card has an annual fee of $95 annual fee that is waived the first year.
Applying for the Card
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express® Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
Effective 8/26, welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had the Marriott Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card from Chase or Marriott Rewards Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a welcome offer in the last 24 months on The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase. You can read more about the Chase and Amex limitations on the new SPG/Marriott cards here.
The Amex SPG Business Credit Card has had a bonus of 35,000 Starpoints in the past. This new welcome bonus is equal to 33,333 Starpoints, so it is pretty close. The card is worth keeping long term if you value a free night of up to 35,000 points at least $95. I would usually say that Amex Offers are also an added bonus, but that’s no longer the case.
Let me know what you think of this card and the bonus and earning structure.