Chase announced today the newest additions to their credit card portfolio, the IHG Rewards Club Premier Card. They also added a lower end IHG Rewards Club Traveler Card. The Premier Card is similar to their old IHG offering. Comes with a sign up bonus, a free anniversary night and earns 10X points on purchases at IHG hotels, 2X points on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants, and 1X on purchases everywhere else.
The Chase IHG Premier card has a sign up bonus and also an annual spending bonus.
- Earn a $50 statement credit after first purchase and 100,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months from account opening.
Earn 80,000 IHG® Rewards Club bonus points after making purchases totaling $2,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 10,000 IHG® Rewards Club bonus points with a $20,000 spend by anniversary date.
Earning and Redeeming Points
Chase IHG Premier card earn at the following rates:
- 10 IHG® Rewards Club points per $1 spent at IHG hotels
- 2 IHG® Rewards Club points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- 1 IHG® Rewards Club point per $1 spent on all other purchases
You can redeem points for Reward Nights starting at 10,000 points and up to 70,000 per night. During Point Breaks promotions you can also book some hotels at just 5,000 points a night.
- Anniversary free night at eligible hotels. This benefit is different from the old IHG card. Anniversary Free Night is valid at IHG® Hotels with a current point redemption level of 40,000 points or less, and must be redeemed, and stay must be completed, within 12 months from date of issue.
- Platinum Elite IHG® Rewards Club member status
- $100 Global Entry/TSA Pre-Check credit
- No foreign transaction fees
- Fourth reward night free on point redemptions of four or more nights
- 20% discount on points purchases
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance
- Lost luggage reimbursement
- Purchase protection
$89 Annual Fee, not waived.
Applying for the Card
This product is not available to either current cardmembers of this credit card, or previous cardmembers of this credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months. This is a new product, so it shouldn’t be an issue for now. You can apply even if you have the old IHG card.
Chase IHG Premier card will likely not fall under the Chase 5/24 rule, so most people should be eligible.
This card gives you decent value with the signup bonus, free anniversary night and free fourth night. However the car is not as good as their previous offering, especially when it comes to the anniversary free night. Now that night is limited to hotels that cost 40,000 points or less per night. The old card offered an unlimited free night that could be used at any property anywhere in the world. On top of that, the annual fee has been increased from $49 to $89.
Just because this card is not as good as the old Chase IHG card, doesn’t mean it is worthless. The old card was probably too good. The card does give you some value and I think it is worth applying for sooner or later, but not something to rush into. Even the limited anniversary free night should be worth the $89 annual fee as a 40,000 point stay is definitely more valuable, but not by much.