These categories for the second quarter of 2018 have been confirmed in a press release.
- PayPal – which can be used online, on mobile or in-app across more than 18 million large, mid-sized and small businesses around the world
- Chase Pay using the app, online or in 3rd party apps
- Grocery stores, including traditional brick-and-mortar food retailers and online delivery services
Chase Freedom is one of the most popular no fee cards and for good reason. It is usually advertised as a cash back card, but when used to its full potential, it can earn 1X Ultimate Rewards point on all purchases and most importantly, 5X Ultimate Rewards points per dollar on rotating quarterly bonus categories. There’s now information on which categories will earn 5X in the second quarter of 2018, up to $1,500 in combined purchases, from April 1st until June 31 2017. That’s a maximum of $75 cash back. Categories have not yet posted on the Chase website.
Chase Freedom Bonus Categories Q2 2018
- Grocery Stores category includes most grocery stores and supermarkets. Walmart and Target is excluded.
- Chase Pay includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your Chase Pay digital wallet during check out. Eligible purchases only qualify for a total of 5% Cash Back rewards; purchases made using Chase Pay at other current 5% quarterly categories will be awarded a total of 5% Cash Back rewards on up to $1500 in combined purchases.
- PayPal includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your PayPal during check out. Eligible purchases only qualify for a total of 5% Cash Back rewards; purchases made using Chase Pay at other current 5% quarterly categories will be awarded a total of 5% Cash Back rewards on up to $1500 in combined purchases.
The second quarter of 2018 should be really easy to maximize. Groceries are one of the biggest expenses for most people and lots of grocery stores and super markets also sell gift cards. Then you have Chase Pay and PayPal that give you more options. Just keep in mind that it will be 5% total, so if you use your mobile wallet at a grocery store for example, you will not earn 10%. If you don’t have the card, you can sign up and earn a $150 bonus cash back when you spend $500 within the first three months. You can also convert other Chase cards to this one, if you want to have it but don’t really want to apply for a new card.