Here’s a round up of of news, deals and other stuff that caught my attention in the last few days. I either don’t have the expertise, or was too lazy to write about them. Or maybe they’re just fun reads and not exactly travel/credit cards/deals related. I’ll add more posts to it during the day if I find anything else that I think will interest you, so check back. Also, if you have a travel/finance/deal blog yourself or happen to read any interesting posts or articles, feel free to email me and I’ll include them in these roundups.
- Worldwide Airline Ban On “Smart: Luggage” Begins Tomorrow by God Save the Points – If your luggage features a Lithium Ion battery, GPS tracker or electronics which cannot be removed, it’s subject to the new ban. This ban also applies to carry on luggage, if overhead bin space is unavailable.
- Sam’s Club Stores That Are Closing – 25% Off All Merchandise by Doctor of Credit – Check if a store near you is closing and definitely check out if there’s any discounts on items that interest you.
- Kroger may acquire digital bulk retailer Boxed by USA Today – Interesting to see how this one plays out. Both brands are often mentioned here at DDG with different types of deals.
- Best Hyatt Properties for Kid-Free Stays by Mommy Points – A good list that should make it easy to pick a destination if you have Hyatt points and no kids. I’m actually headed to the first property listed there in a few days.
- My Thoughts After a Month With Moviepass & Review by Miles to Memories – Looks like a good deal for movie lovers. As Mark explains it “Moviepass is kind of like the Netflix of movie theater going. You pay a flat fee and then you can see as many 2D movies as you want during the month. The catch is you can only see 1 movie every 24 hours. You could still easily see 25-30 movies a month if you so choose.”
- Airbus’s Whale of a Plane Will Take to the Skies This Summer by Bloomberg – The next-generation Airbus SE BelugaXL super transporter is one of the largest aircraft in existence. It is set to make its debut flight in the middle of the year after the first plane was rolled off the assembly line.
- Plane nearly falls into the Black Sea with 168 people on board before getting stuck in the mud by Newsweek – Scary stuff. A Pegasus Airlines aircraft landing in an airport in northern Turkey skid off the runway and nearly fell into the Black Sea, clinging from a steep slope with its nose toward the water below. All the people on board survived the incident.
- 6 American Castles Where You Can Spend The Night by The Traveling Fool – A list of some great looking castle hotels. Your points are no good here, so hopefully you can afford to pay for them in cash.