Chase Freedom Bonus Categories Q1 2018: Mobile Wallets, Gas Stations, Internet, Phone Services

Chase Freedom is one of the most popular no fee cards and for good reason. It is usually advertised as a cash back card, but when used to its full potential, it can earn 1X Ultimate Rewards point on all purchases and most importantly, 5x Ultimate Rewards points per dollar on rotating quarterly bonus categories. Chase has officially revealed which categories will earn 5X in the first quarters of 2018, up to $1,500 in combined purchases, from January 1st until March 31 2017. That’s a maximum of $75 cash back.

You can register here and also see list of eligible merchants here.

Chase Freedom Bonus Categories Q1 2018

Chase Freedom Bonus Categories Q1 2018

  • Gas Stations does not include merchants that do not specialize in selling automotive gasoline; for example, truck stops, boat marinas, oil and propane distributors, and home heating companies. For more information, please see Chase Freedom Frequently Asked Questions.

  • Internet/Cable/Phone Services only purchases for internet, cable, satellite television, radio, cellular, wireless data, and landline services will qualify. Please note that purchases of equipment are not included. In addition, if you purchase or pay for your internet, cable and satellite television, phone or related services in a merchant’s store that is not classified by the merchant in the applicable services category, the purchase or payment will not qualify; for example, phone bill payments in a merchant’s store that is classified as a telephone equipment store.

  • Chase Pay, Android Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your Chase Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, or Android Pay digital wallet during check out. Eligible purchases only qualify for a total of 5% Cash Back rewards; purchases made using eligible wallets at other current 5% quarterly categories will be awarded a total of 5% Cash Back rewards on up to $1500 in combined purchases.

Guru’s Wrap-Up

The first quarter of 2018 should be really easy to maximize since all major mobile wallets are included. Mobile wallets were talked about as their own 5% category earlier this year which would have been amazing. But this is still pretty good. Just keep in mind that it will be 5% total, so if you use your mobile wallet at a gas station for example, you will not earn 10%. If you don’t have the card, you can sign up and earn a $150 bonus cash back when you spend $500 within the first three months. You can also convert other Chase cards to this one, if you want to have it but don’t really want to apply for a new card.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Chase Freedom Bonus Categories Q1 2018: Mobile Wallets, Gas Stations, Internet, Phone Services

  1. Pingback: Discounted 512GB Apple 10.5-inch iPad Pro at Walmart - Danny the Deal Guru

  2. Hello,

    Thanks for update. I have two questions.
    1. Does the internet/phone services includes the monthly bill of cell phone? (e.g., ATT)?
    2. Any purchases via chase pay includes? For example if I purchase something from walmart online and use chase pay at checkout I will get 5% cash back?

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.