American Express is again offering a generous bonus when you add authorized users to your Amex Platinum card. We have seen this offer a few times in the past, and the last offer expired on October 20th, 2017. This time around I don’t see an expiration date.
Authorized User Bonus
Earn up to 20,000 Bonus Points: Each Additional Card Member added through this offer can earn you 5,000 bonus points after they spend $500 in purchases on their Card in their first 3 months. Limit of 4 bonus offers. Additional Card Members must be added all at once.
- Additional Card Members must be added all at once.
- Both Additional Gold Cards and Additional Platinum Cards are eligible for this offer.
- The 5,000 bonus Membership Rewards points will be posted to the Basic Card Member’s account within 8–12 weeks after an Additional Card Member makes $500 in purchases.
- Your purchases as the Basic Card Member will not count toward the $500 spend requirement.
- The Additional Card Member’s Social Security Number and Date of Birth are not required to submit this request. However, this information must be provided by you or the Additional Card Member within 60 days after the Card is issued, or the Additional Card will be canceled.
Where To Check
The offer is showing up under the “Amex Offers & Benefits” section online. Log into your account and check if you are targeted. Amex PRG card also had the same offer last time, so it’s worth checking that account also.
This is a great offer that gives you an extra 10X MR points on spending through additional cards, up to 20,000 MR points total. You just need to add 4 Additional Users at once and spend $500 on each. The only drawback is that these additional cards will show up as another credit card on that person’s credit report. If you’re way over 5/24 then that shouldn’t be much of an issue.
Three Additional Platinum Cards will cost you $175 annually and each one after that will cost you an extra $175. But you can add free Additional Gold Cards if you’re just going for the bonus MR points, and don’t really care about the Platinum benefits.