Groupon announced a new loyalty program yesterday that gives customers the option to earn miles and points with every purchase from American Airlines AAdvantage, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, Choice Privileges, IHG Rewards Club, JetBlue’s TrueBlue Program and La Quinta Returns.
How To Earn Miles And Points On Groupon
Groupon users can begin earning airline miles and hotel points from top frequent traveler programs just for buying a Groupon local, travel or shopping deal. So this will work as a shopping portal, but you will need a promo code that will be applied at checkout. To start earning miles and points through Groupon purchases, you need to get a promotional code for any participating loyalty program. This is not a unique code. You use code JETBLUE for example if you want to earn TrueBlue points. You can get started here.
You then select a partner from the list and link your accounts by entering your loyalty program number.
Here’s the available partners and the eraning rates for each of them:
- For American Airlines AAdvantage program, Alaska Mileage Plan, JetBlue TrueBlue, United MileagePlus:
- Earn 5 miles or points per $1 spent on Groupon Local
- Earn 4 miles or points per $1 spent on Groupon Getaways
- Earn 3 miles or points per $1 spent on Groupon Goods
- New Groupon customers whose first purchase on Groupon is a Local offer that is $30.00 or greater before taxes will receive an additional 1,000 miles or points in addition to the 5 miles or points indicated above.
- For Choice Privileges, IHG Rewards Club, La Quinta Returns:
- Earn 10 points per $1 spent on Groupon Local
- Earn 8 points per $1 spent on Groupon Getaways
- Earn 6 points per $1 spent on Groupon Goods
- New Groupon customers whose first purchase on Groupon is a Local offer that is $30.00 or greater before taxes will receive an additional 2,000 points in addition to the 10 points indicated above.
- You will receive your points or miles for your identified loyalty program within 4 – 6 weeks of your purchase.
- Cannot be stacked or combined with any other offers, sales, or promotions, including but not limited to any third party cash back and/or loyalty programs.
- Select deals and items excluded – if the Fine Print of a deal or item states the deal or item is not eligible for promo codes or discounts, it is not eligible for this offer.
At first this sounded like a great new option for earning miles and points. However, terms state that it cannot be stacked or combined with any other offers, sales, or promotions, including but not limited to any third party cash back and/or loyalty programs. That means that you cannot get cashback or miles and points from shopping portals.
But, to make matters worse, you can only apply one promo code at checkout. We usually see codes for 20% off or more, and you have to choose between that code, or a code to earn miles and points. Since you’re only getting 5X miles or 10X hotel points, you would need to value them 4cpp and 2cpp respectively for it to make sense. These miles and points are never valued that high, so it will only make sense if there’s no promotions going on at Groupon and you need to make a purchase right away.