Open a new checking account with qualifying direct deposits, and enjoy a $200 cash bonus to use as you wish. BMO Harris has extended this bonus again, until the end of December. You need to request a code online and mention the promo code in the email sent to you at account opening, which can only be done at BMO Harris Branch or by calling 1-866-362-1166 to complete the application after you do it online initially.
Warning! This bank is a hassle to deal and most likely only real direct deposits will work.
To receive the bonus
- Request promo code online
- Open one of the following accounts with a $100 minimum opening deposit by December 31, 2017:
- BMO Harris Everyday Checking
- BMO Harris Select Checking or
- BMO Harris Portfolio Checking
- Have at least two direct deposits of $300 or more within 90 days of opening.
If you are opening your account online or by phone, you must reside in a state that BMO Harris operates retail branches and use that address to open the account. BMO Harris currently operates retail branches in AZ, FL, IL, IN, KS, MO, MN and WI
Bonus not available to existing BMO Harris personal checking customers (including signers on joint accounts) or those who have closed a BMO Harris personal checking account within the past 12 months.
BMO Harris Everyday Checking is the best option. The account comes with a $12 monthly fee that can be waived with one of the following options:
- You have Incoming External Deposits into this account totaling $500 or more during the statement period
- You have kept a $1,000 minimum daily Ledger Balance in this account
- You have requested we link this account to a BMO Harris Select Checkingor BMO Harris Portfolio Checkingaccount to receive benefits under Relationship Waiver and meet the Combined Balance requirement for the BMO Harris Select Checking or BMO Harris Portfolio Checking account
- You have requested we link this account to a Wealth Checking Account to receive benefits under Relationship Waiver and meet the Average Daily Balance requirement
- You are a college student and request a student fee waiver
This is a nice bonus but the hassle here is that you can’t open the accounts online. If you have a branch nearby that must be the best bet, otherwise you need to finish the application over the phone, and they get into lots of details with their questioning.
Lots of data points (including Mimi below) show that this might not be the easiest bank to deal with. The account opening is a bit cumbersome and the bonus takes 120 days to post and you’ll need to request it yourself. This means that direct deposits requirement should be met with actual direct deposits. Even in the fine print they note that they “reserve the right to request documentation that the direct deposits qualify”.
You can also fund account with a credit card up to $1,000, which is an added bonus on its own. Most likely this can’t be done in branch, but you can do it online. Se CA limit to $0 or less that the funding amount so you avoid any cash advance fees.
- Request Coupon Code
- Account Type: Everyday Checking
- Availability: AZ, FL, IL, IN, KS, MO, MN, WI
- Expiration Date:
- Type of Inquiry: Soft pull
- Direct Deposit Requirement: Two direct deposits of $300 or more within 90 days
- Other Requirements: None
- Credit Card Funding: Up to $1,000 (Set CA limit to $0 before funding)
- Monthly Fee: $12 but can be waived
- Closing Account Fee: Must keep account open for 120 days to receive bonus