What’s The Takata Airbag Settlement About
Takata has been in hot water for years, since its airbags have the tendency to explode violently and shoot out hot metal shrapnels inside vehicles. However, things only got serious when the Senate accused the company of faking crash data in 2016, leading to the biggest auto recall in the US. A total of 42 million vehicles have been recalled so far, but the companies involved expect to recall 83 million more vehicles. Takata agreed to plead guilty to criminal misconduct and to settle for $1 billion late last year. Now there’s a settlement decision that can get you a nice amount of money if you have any of the vehicles included.
You are a person or entity eligible to register/submit a claim for a Settlement Payment if:
- You owned or leased, on June 9, 2017, a Subject Vehicle (BMW Subject Vehicles, Mazda Subject Vehicles, Subaru Subject Vehicles, Toyota Subject Vehicles) distributed for sale or lease in the United States or its territories or possessions, AND you bring or have brought your Subject Vehicle to a dealership for the manufacturer of the Subject Vehicle, for the Takata Airbag Recall Remedy; or
- You sold, or returned pursuant to a lease, a Subject Vehicle (BMW Subject Vehicles, Mazda Subject Vehicles, Subaru Subject Vehicles, Toyota Subject Vehicles) distributed for sale or lease in the United States or its territories or possessions after April 11, 2013 and before June 9, 2017, if the Subject Vehicle was recalled prior to June 9, 2017.
What Products Are Included?
Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, BMW, Honda, and Nissan sold vehicles containing defective inflators manufactured by Takata Corporation. You can also check your VIN here. Honda and Nissan cases are not yet available for claims, but they could offer even more based on some news reports.
How Much Do I Get?
You can receive up to $250 with a valid claim, depending on the number of total claims. You can also receive full reimbursement if you can show that you paid for damages due to faulty airbags.
The deadline for submitting a Registration/Claim Form is as follows:
- If you sold or returned, pursuant to a lease, a recalled Subject Vehicle after April 11, 2013 and before June 9, 2017, and your vehicle was recalled under the Takata Airbag Inflator Recall prior to June 9, 2017, you have one year from the date that the Settlement becomes final (the “Effective Date”) to submit a Registration/Claim Form.
- If you owned or leased a Subject Vehicle on June 9, 2017, the deadline for submitting a Registration/Claim Form is one year after the Effective Date, or one year after the date the Recall Remedy is performed on your Subject Vehicle, whichever is later, until the Final Registration/Claim Deadline is reached.
- File claim here
- Rebate: Up to $250 or full reimbursement
- Proof of Purchase: Check VIN
- Settlement Pool: N/A
- Deadline: N/A