Starwood Preferred Guest has been offering status challenges for a few years, but finally the offer is public and there’s now a dedicated page when you can get detailed information regarding the requirements.
SPG Status Challenge
Earn GOLD or PLATINUM status fast with the SPG Status Challenge.
- Reach Gold – Stay 9 nights in 3 months (typically 25 in a calendar year)
- Reach Platinum – Stay 18 nights in 3 months (typically 50 in a calendar year)
- Sign up by December 31, 2017
- Select your 3-month challenge period to complete 9 or 18 nights
- Must be an SPG Preferred member.
- Must not have held same status or higher in the last five years.
- Not eligible if you previously completed a Status Challenge promotion.
- Award nights do not count towards status challenge.
- Status upgrade will be reflected within 5-7 days of your last eligible stay.
- You retain status for the remainder of the year, all of 2018, up until February 28th, 2019
- See full terms of challenge here
You can get complimentary Gold status through Amex Platinum cards, so this challenge will be interesting for most for the Platinum status. 18 nights within 3 months is a lot, but if you already have some planned stays, you should definitely look into some extra stays to get you to 18 within the challenge period.
If you’re able to complete 18 stays, you will get two years of Platinum status, which is great if you stay often at SPG properties. You get your choice of welcome gift upon arrival, upgrade to best available room at check-in and complimentary Executive-level access at all properties.
Will you go for it?